Raed Qassem clamors among hundreds of unkempt Yemenis at a stadium gate for a free lunch, which he says is enough incentive to support Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh against mass demands to end to his 32-year rule.
After grabbing the rice and meat ration, which the ruling General People’s Congress party began distributing when anti-Saleh demonstrations erupted across Yemen last month, Salman heads to a square in the center of the Yemeni capital.
“I will march for Saleh as long as there is food,” the unemployed 45-year-old said.
Photo: AFP
Saleh supporters occupy the square daily while a larger group — frustrated by corruption, soaring unemployment and by Saleh’s hanging on to power — rally at Sana’a University.
In one venue are an educated youth increasingly being supported by opposition and tribal figures who have been abandoning Saleh, and in the other lies a huge security apparatus and those benefiting from the ruling party’s generosity.
The former are more confident of winning, although Saleh has repeatedly turned down street demands to quit immediately and remove his relatives from the army — his son Ahmed heads the Republican Guards — and -security apparatus.
Dissent across the Arab world in the past few weeks has toppled autocratic rulers in Tunisia and Egypt and threatens Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi.
The main opposition coalition, which rejected a proposal by US- and Saudi-backed Saleh to step down when his term ends this year, said on Monday that protests would escalate.
Shop owners looked on in disgust as Saleh’s supporters, some wielding batons, shoved each other to get their lunch and disrupted traffic in the busy thoroughfare.
“This is what Saleh reduced himself to, feeding thugs to show that he has support,” watch dealer Tawfiq Sadeq said.
Some 26 people have been killed since protests started early last month. In the town of Ibb this week, Saleh loyalists attacked an anti-government protest with stones and batons.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver