Defense lawyers in the sodomy trial of Malaysian opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim sought to have the case thrown out, saying yesterday that his accuser’s story was tainted with lies and contradictory statements.
Anwar’s lawyer Karpal Singh argued that the specific charge against the opposition leader contradicts the alleged victim’s own testimony in court.
Anwar, a former deputy prime minister, is charged under a subsection of Malaysian law that outlaws consensual anal sex.
However, his accuser, 24-year-old former aide Saiful Bukhari Azlan, testified in court that Anwar sodomized him without his consent on June 26, 2008.
Singh said yesterday that the discrepancy indicates that Saiful has been inconsistent in his statements and has made up his story.
“If the evidence falls, it is the end of the case,” Singh told the court.
Sodomy, whether consensual or not, is a crime in this Muslim-majority nation and punishable by up to 20 years in prison.
Anwar and his supporters claim that the sodomy charge is part of a political conspiracy by Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak to neutralize the opposition alliance, which made considerable gains in the March 2008 general elections. Saiful made the accusation less than four months later. If convicted, Anwar’s political career would almost certainly come to an end, destroying his aspirations to become the prime minister.
Saiful’s story is “not consistent, he’s not telling the truth,” Anwar, a 62-year-old married father of six, told reporters.
Defense lawyers demanded that police hand over a transcript of the statement Saiful recorded after he was allegedly sodomized while employed as Anwar’s political aide. Singh said that the transcript might show that Saiful originally said that he had consensual sex with Anwar.
He said that statement was most probably the reason why Anwar was charged with consensual sodomy even though he could have been charged under another section of the law that provides for a charge of nonconsensual sodomy, Singh said.
Saiful has maintained in court that he was an unwilling partner in the alleged crime in a condominium where he went to meet Anwar.
Saiful has given graphic description of the alleged act including the use of lubricant and vulgar language.
The prosecution has refused to submit the transcript of Saiful’s recorded statement, saying it is not obliged to do so. The judge will rule today if it should be submitted in court.
Singh said that if the transcript shows Saiful lied, his entire testimony would have to be deemed prejudiced and the case thrown out.
Saiful testified briefly yesterday to reiterate that he was under duress during the alleged sodomy.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told