Opposition leader Megawati Sukarnoputri yesterday rejected Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono’s landslide re-election win and will challenge the results in court, a spokesman said.
Megawati’s campaign will lodge a challenge to the results of the July 8 poll with the Constitutional Court, alleging widespread irregularities including millions of people left off voter rolls, lawmaker Gayus Lumbuun said.
“Because there are still unresolved legal issues, we are rejecting the presidential election results from the KPU [election commission],” said Gayus Lumbuun, from Megawati’s Democratic Party of Struggle.
PHOTO: AFP
Official results announced by the commission yesterday gave the liberal ex-general Yudhoyono 60.8 percent of the vote, far ahead of ex-president Megawati, with 26.8 percent, and Vice President Jusuf Kalla, with 12.4 percent.
The Megawati campaign boycotted the official announcement of the results at the election commission office.
Kalla’s campaign will also launch a Constitutional Court appeal over voter list irregularities, but has not yet decided whether to accept or reject the results, campaign spokesman Indra Piliang said.
‘IRREGULARITIES’
“We have accepted the draft results signed by the KPU members ... [but] because we found irregularities in the voter list we’ll file a legal challenge to the Constitutional Court,” he said. “According to the law, there have to be objective results before the declaration of the president and vice president-elect.”
Yudhoyono denied there had been widespread fraud in the election but said opposing candidates had the right to launch “peaceful” challenges to the results.
“Our system and laws of course allow for those sides who still want to protest and file complaints,” Yudhoyono said in a press conference broadcast on national TV.
“In the public arena, voting issues of irregularities have emerged ... irregularities in elections don’t always mean fraud. Nonetheless they have to be corrected, repaired and settled,” he said.
The 59-year-old Yudhoyono, who defeated Megawati in Indonesia’s first direct presidential election in 2004 on an anti-corruption platform, is credited with ensuring stability and economic growth.
Kalla’s Golkar Party, the political vehicle of late dictator Suharto, has indicated it could join a Yudhoyono-led government, while Megawati has maintained bitter opposition to the president.
Paramilitary police provided heavy security outside the election commission office, the road to which was blocked off by razor wire and armored vehicles.
ATTACKS
A spokesman for the election commission said the security measures were to prevent a repeat of bomb attacks on luxury Jakarta hotels on July 17, which killed seven people plus two suicide bombers.
Yudhoyono has come under fire for appearing to blame the attacks on political rivals aiming to overturn the election results, although police say the most likely perpetrator was a radical splinter faction of the Jemaah Islamiyah militant network.
The bombings, the first major attack in Indonesia since 2005, have broken years of quiet associated with Yudhoyono’s rule but are seen as not likely to undermine forecasts of robust economic growth.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but