Victims of murder, torture and other abuses by Nigeria’s former military government on Tuesday hailed a landmark out-of-court settlement with Royal Dutch Shell over its alleged complicity in the crimes.
Shell agreed on Monday in New York to pay out US$15.5 million to relatives of Nigerian writer and activist Ken Saro-Wiwa and others executed in 1995 in what plaintiffs said was a campaign of repression backed by the oil giant.
The settlement brings to an end a long battle by the Nigerian victims and means that Shell avoids a potentially embarrassing court case while having to accept no actual wrongdoing.
Saro-Wiwa had led a non-violent campaign to protest environmental destruction and abuses against the Ogoni people in the Niger Delta before he was hanged along with other activists after his trial in a military court.
“We welcome the US$15.5 million compensation for the illegal killings of Ken Saro-Wiwa and the other eight Ogoni leaders,” Bariara Kpalap, spokesman for the Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People, told reporters.
But Kpalap insisted Shell must still address the issue of environmental pollution and change the way it does business in the oil-rich Niger Delta, where farmers and fishermen are being driven off.
“For a lasting peace in the Ogoni land, Shell has to change its attitude towards the people. Shell should treat us as civilized human beings and not those to be exploited because of our oil,” he said.
A lawyer for the plaintiffs said roughly a third of the settlement would go into a fund for the Ogoni people.
“Five million ... is going into the trust and the remainder is used for the plaintiffs and the estates of the descendants and the costs of litigation and legal fees,” Marco Simons said in New York.
Shell maintained its innocence and highlighted what it called a “humanitarian gesture” to help the Ogoni people.
“While we were prepared to go to court to clear our name, we believe the right way forward is to focus on the future for Ogoni people,” said Malcolm Brinded, executive director for exploration and production. “We believe this settlement will assist the process of reconciliation and peace in Ogoni land, which is our primary concern.”
The Nigerian plaintiffs, represented by US human rights lawyers, brought the suit under the little-used Alien Tort Claims Act, a 1789 US law occasionally dusted off for use against multinational corporations.
The case, seen as a landmark in the human rights legal field, had been due to go to trial on May 27 but was repeatedly delayed in the run-up to Monday’s announcement of a settlement.
Simons described the agreement as a “very significant milestone.”
Separate challenges are being mounted in New York by an Ogoni and by environmental activists in the Netherlands.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding
‘DELIBERATE PROVOCATION’: Pyongyang said that Seoul had used a machine gun to fire at North Korean troops who were working to permanently seal the southern border South Korea fired warning shots at North Korean soldiers that briefly crossed the heavily fortified border earlier this week, Seoul said yesterday after Pyongyang accused it of risking “uncontrollable” tensions. South Korean President Lee Jae-myung has sought warmer ties with the nuclear-armed North and vowed to build “military trust,” but Pyongyang has said it has no interest in improving relations with Seoul. Seoul’s military said several North Korean soldiers crossed the border on Tuesday while working in the heavily mined demilitarized zone (DMZ) separating the two Koreas. The incursion prompted “our military to fire warning shots,” South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff