The US and Australian embassies in Indonesia received bomb threats yesterday as tensions rose ahead of the imminent execution of three Islamists convicted over the Bali bombings.
A US embassy spokesman said a threat had been received and was being taken seriously.
“We are working closely with the Indonesian police,” he said.
PHOTO: AFP
Police announced the all clear after searches of the heavily guarded embassy compounds failed to find any bombs.
The threat sent to police by text message reportedly said: “I have put TNT bombs around the US and Australian embassies. I will pull the trigger if Amrozi and his friends are executed,” referring to the Bali bombers.
“We’re investigating this to find out who sent the threat,” police spokesman Abubakar Nataprawira said.
An Australian foreign affairs department spokesman said: “Threats of this nature are not unexpected under the circumstances.”
Security has been boosted across the mainly Muslim archipelago amid fears of reprisal attacks by Islamic militants following the executions.
Amrozi, 47, his brother Mukhlas, 48, and Imam Samudra, 38, are expected to be executed by firing squad this week.
The 2002 attacks targeted nightspots packed with Western tourists, killing 202 people including 88 Australians and 38 Indonesians. The bombers said the attacks were revenge for US aggression in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Australia has warned citizens against travel to Indonesia, and the US — which lost seven nationals in the attack — has warned Americans in the country to “maintain a low profile.”
About 30 emotional supporters arrived at Mukhlas and Amrozi’s home village of Tenggulun, east Java, around dawn on Monday and denounced the executions as “murder” in emotional speeches at an Islamic boarding school.
“There are hundreds of us waiting to come ... If Amrozi is executed a thousand more will come,” said Abdulrahim, a member of the group led by radical cleric Abu Bakar Bashir.
Bashir is one of the founders of the Jemaah Islamiyah regional terror network, which is blamed for the Bali bombings and other attacks across Southeast Asia.
Other supporters wore balaclavas and gave shouted speeches vowing destruction for the US, its regional ally Australia and Israel.
A brother of the condemned men, Jafar Shoddiq, made an emotional appeal for support from Muslims everywhere.
“All Muslims besides those who support us will come without being invited,” he said, before shouting: “Raise your voice ... raise your voice to prevent disaster from God.”
Mujazzin Marzuki, a leader of Bashir’s group, said: “We reject the executions, they are murder.”
The bombers have failed with each of their appeals against the death sentence, including a last-minute petition filed on Monday. Anti-death penalty campaigners have complained that the three men were convicted and sentenced under a 2003 anti-terror law that was applied retroactively.
Indonesians generally practice a moderate version of Islam but a fanatical fringe led by Jemaah Islamiyah has waged jihad, or holy war, for many years in a bid to bring about a regional Islamic caliphate.
The Bali attacks were the bloodiest in a sustained period of al-Qaeda-inspired jihadist violence in the world’s most populous Muslim country. Bombings at the JW Marriott hotel in Jakarta in 2003, the Australian embassy in 2004 and Bali again in 2005, among others, killed scores of people.
The alleged mastermind of the Bali bombings and subsequent attacks, Malaysian extremist Noordin Mohammad Top, is still at large.
Also See: EDITORIAL: Whither the death penalty?
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver