Khartoum on Thursday rejected a deal with the International Criminal Court (ICC) to hand over two indicted officials in exchange for dropping the court’s arrest warrant for Sudanese President Omar Hassan al-Bashir.
ICC Chief Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo however ruled out dropping his call for a warrant for Bashir on suspicion of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity in Darfur, a move that some powers fear could derail peace efforts there.
“There will be no direct cooperation with the International Criminal Court and no sending any Sudanese citizens to The Hague,” Sudanese presidential adviser Mustafa Osman Ismail told a forum on Thursday.
The decision to refer Darfur to the ICC came from the UN Security Council so any proposal to resolve the crisis should also come from there, he said.
ICC judges are expected to decide in October or November whether to issue a warrant for Bashir’s arrest.
Moreno-Ocampo asked the ICC for the warrant, accusing Bashir of a campaign of genocide in which 35,000 people were killed outright, at least 100,000 died a “slow death” and 2.5 million were forced to flee their homes in Sudan’s Darfur region.
China, South Africa and others have expressed concern that an indictment of Bashir could damage the stalled peace process aimed at ending the five-year-old conflict in Darfur.
Moreno-Ocampo, in his first public comments since asking for Bashir’s arrest, said this was not a factor for him.
“I am the prosecutor and I have to do my judicial part of the work for the court,” he told reporters. “I kept my independence and I cannot be a political factor,” he said when asked whether arresting Bashir would harm peace negotiations.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon offered a different view, saying the ICC also must consider ramifications of its work.
“We must seek to strike the correct balance between the duty of justice and the pursuit of peace,” he said.
Western diplomats in New York have said a deal could be struck to drop or suspend the warrant for Bashir if he agreed to hand over Humanitarian Affairs State Minister Ahmed Haroun and militia leader Ali Kushayb, indicted by the ICC last year.
Sudan has asked Russia, China and members of the Arab League and the African Union (AU) to help it pursue a Security Council resolution suspending a warrant for Bashir for 12 months.
Diplomats in New York say the Arab League and the AU’s Peace and Security Council are expected to call on the Security Council soon to block any ICC moves in the interests of bringing peace to Darfur.
Sudan is likely to get both Arab and African support at the UN. AU officials have expressed concern that the ICC’s first four cases have all focused on Africa.
Senegal’s president said on Thursday that US President George W. Bush had told African leaders at one point that the US might send troops to Darfur if they did not act to halt what he saw as genocide there.
“Myself and other African colleagues tried to dissuade him from this and convince him to leave us to try to sort out this problem among us Africans,” President Abdoulaye Wade said in a statement issued in Dakar on Moreno-Ocampo’s request for an arrest warrant for Bashir.
Meanwhile Bashir has agreed to resume diplomatic ties with Chad, one month after severing them following an unprecedented rebel attack near the Sudanese capital, officials said yesterday.
Bashir accepted the turnaround after an appeal by Wade, who has been trying to broker peace between the two sides, according to a statement issued by top officials from both countries meeting in Senegal.
Sudan accused neighboring Chad of supporting rebels who launched an attack near Khartoum in May that was the closet they had ever come to hitting the seat of Sudan’s government. Sudan cut diplomatic ties with Chad immediately afterward. Chad in turn closed its border with Sudan and halted bilateral trade.
Wade brokered a peace agreement in Dakar in March that was signed by the presidents of Sudan and Chad. The deal was meant to suppress attacks by armed groups operating along their shared border, but it has failed to ease instability in the region.
The statement was issued late on Thursday after a meeting chaired by Senegal, which was attended by Sudanese Foreign Minister Deng Alor and his Chadian counterpart, Moussa Faki Mahamat.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable
SURGE CONTINUES: India recorded its steepest spike of more than 57,000 new virus cases in 24 hours, as Vietnam went from no virus deaths to reporting three South Korean prosecutors yesterday arrested the elderly leader of a secretive religious sect as part of an investigation into allegations that the church hampered the government’s COVID-19 response after thousands of worshipers were infected in February and March. Prosecutors in the central city of Suwon have been questioning 88-year-old Lee Man-hee, chairman of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, over charges that the church hid some members and underreported gatherings to avoid broader quarantines. The Suwon District Court granted prosecutors’ request to arrest Lee over concerns that he could temper with evidence. Lee and his church have steadfastly denied the accusations, saying they are