Western countries have failed to deliver US$10 billion in promised aid to Afghanistan, undermining prospects for peace that depend on development, according to a report released yesterday.
About 40 percent of the aid that does arrive returns to rich countries in corporate profits and high consultant costs, according to the Agency Coordinating Body For Afghan Relief (ACBAR) report.
The funds going towards reconstruction are, meanwhile, just "a fraction" of military expenditure, with US$25 billion spent on security-related assistance, such as building the Afghan security force, since 2001.
The US military spends about a US$100 million a day in Afghanistan, while the average volume of international aid from all donors since 2001 is just US$7 million a day, the ACBAR document Falling Short says.
The international community had pledged US$25 billion to Afghanistan since 2001, when the Taliban government was removed from power.
However, "just US$15 billion in aid has so far been spent, of which it is estimated a staggering 40 percent has returned to donor countries in corporate profits and consultant salaries," it says.
Most full-time foreign consultants working for private companies in Afghanistan cost US$250,000 to US$500,000 a year, including salary, allowances and associated costs, ACBAR says.
The US is the biggest donor to Afghanistan, contributing one-third of all aid since 2001.
But it also has one of the biggest shortfalls, with the Afghan government saying it delivered only half of its US$10.4 billion commitment between 2002 and this year, ACBAR says.
The World Bank was listed as distributing just over half of its US$1.6 billion commitment, while Britain has pledged US$1.45 billion and distributed US$1.3 billion.
Meanwhile, construction on a section of road in southern Afghanistan was halted when a suspicious package was spotted. In Kandahar Province the threat from Taliban-linked militants cannot be underestimated, especially when foreign troops are present, like the Canadian soldiers behind the road project.
"A package was dropped where both Canadian and Afghan soldiers work with locals," said Captain Eghtedar Manouchehri, head of a Canadian base nearby. "It prevented the work today because we saw very suspicious activity."
In the end, it turned out to be nothing more than an ordinary bundle.
But the troops cannot be too careful with Taliban militants fashioning various forms of improvised explosives to use in their battle against the Afghan government and nearly 70,000 international soldiers supporting it.
It was the first time since the beginning of the project last month that construction was halted on the 6.5km section of road outside the hamlet of Bazaar-i-Panjwayi, said project director Captain Pascal Blanchette.
There have, however, been other incidents at the project 40km west of the city of Kandahar, one of the most volatile areas of Afghanistan.
"We have already been fired on once and we found knives on workers, which is not allowed," Blanchette said.
The construction, expected to cost US$4.5 million -- making it the largest development project undertaken by the Canadian military in Afghanistan -- should be completed in October.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver