Cubans expecting their new president to transform their strained lives are tempering their hopes as they gradually accept him at his word: Small improvements will come with time, but nothing will happen overnight.
Hopes for at least modest economic reforms sprang up 20 months ago when Raul Castro took over provisionally from his ailing older brother, Fidel. When he became president last month, the hopes blossomed.
But beginning with his Feb. 24 inauguration speech, Castro has tried to lower expectations. While promising generally to eliminate an "excess of prohibitions and regulations," he said any change would be slow and require hard work by all Cubans.
Since then, there have been no overt changes in the state-controlled economy, and many Cubans are coming around to the idea that -- once again -- they will need to be patient.
"Raul says we have to work hard, and we have to work well," said Orestes, a retired military man.
He smiled, but politely refused to answer, when asked for his last name; ordinarily chatty Cubans often clam up around foreign reporters, worried they could get into trouble.
Privately, many Cubans express hopes that the near-worthless pesos they get on their government paychecks will increase in value, that their pensions and salaries will increase, that they will be allowed to travel abroad without government permission.
Although few could afford the luxury, many also talk about getting unlimited Internet access, and regaining access to hotels now restricted to foreigners.
Life over the past year has been a string of disappointments.
International news reports said microwave ovens and DVD players would soon be in stores, but these have not materialized. Rumors that ordinary Cubans would be allowed to buy cellphone service have proven unfounded. There was speculation that people would be allowed to buy homes and cars. They still cannot.
One concrete improvement is public transportation. Thousands of new Chinese-made buses ordered on Fidel Castro's watch are finally plying new routes, eliminating commuter bottlenecks.
"Transportation is a marvel!" exclaimed Niola Prieto, a flower vendor at the farmers' market, pointing to a huge red bus rumbling by with more than 100 passengers. "Hopefully Raul can do the same with the food situation."
The new president has made food a priority, taking steps to increase farm production. He has also acknowledged the need to improve salaries and resolve a dual-currency system that severely limits Cubans' buying power.
The question is, how long will they wait? Older Cubans are used to waiting hours for a bus, months for their children's school uniforms, or years for telephone installation in their home. Younger Cubans, eager for computers and iPods, may be less patient.
"Raul and his government, like the Comandante before them, act as if time were on their side," Marifeli Perez-Stable, vice president at the Washington-based Inter-American Dialogue, told a US House of Representatives foreign affairs subcommittee on March 5. "Will the one-step-at-a-time pace be enough to satisfy the citizenry?"
Perez-Stable said Cuban leaders fear what happened to Soviet leaders who lost control of quickening change.
But so far, Havana shows no signs of widespread restlessness.
The last spell of profound, generalized discontent in the capital was felt during hours-long power cuts during the heat of summer in 2005. A scattering of public protests and anti-Fidel graffiti had authorities worried, but a renovation of the electrical grid ended the blackouts.
Hal Klepak, a professor at the Royal Military College of Canada who studies Raul Castro, said the government should be able to maintain political control by making minor economic improvements at a measured pace.
"The challenge for the younger generations will be to have patience, while keeping up their demands," Klepak said in Havana. "For authorities, it will be to give the green light and show the people there is hope -- but they are not going to lose control."
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver