The 600 skeletons are packed into fruit cartons and stacked on shelves in the walk-in closet of a forensic lab, in the dim glow of a single bare light bulb. They are "Skeleton No. 4" or "Skeleton No. 21," and nothing more.
But a quarter-century after Argentina's dictatorship and "dirty war" against its own citizens ended, DNA technology raises the possibility of finally learning the identities of these skeletons in the closet, collected from mostly unmarked graves across Argentina.
Anthropologists have launched an ambitious campaign, drawing on techniques pioneered in Bosnia and at New York's World Trade Center after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.
On television and radio, celebrities exhort relatives of "the disappeared" to provide blood samples for a nationwide DNA database. A weekday call center advertises its toll-free number on banners at soccer games.
"If you have a family member who was a victim of a forced disappearance ... a simple blood sample can help identify them," says a popular Argentine soccer sportscaster in a TV ad.
The campaign began in November and is already paying off.
"We've received some 2,000 telephone calls," said Luis Fondebrider of the Argentine Forensic Anthropology Team, which was founded in 1984 to document the missing and has since applied its know-how in more than 40 countries, from El Salvador to Iraq to East Timor.
It also led the identification through of Cuban revolutionary Ernest "Che" Guevara's remains, exhumed in the 1990s.
The nonprofit group hopes soon to recruit a US lab to cross-match the samples with DNA from all 600 skeletons in the closet, many of which have bullet holes in their skulls or signs of torture.
Large-scale DNA sampling has become quicker and cheaper since it was pioneered in Bosnia, said Mercedes Doretti, a founder of the group and a recipient of a MacArthur Foundation "genius grant" last year.
After Bosnia's war in the early 1990s, the International Commission for Missing Persons createdea system to conduct sophisticated DNA tests on thousands of exhumed bodies.
After the World Trade Center attacks, US experts expanded the technology, building software to compare thousands of DNA samples simultaneously from the fragments from the Twin Towers.
But Doretti's group did not have the money to use these new technologies for investigations until the US Congress gave it a grant last year of nearly US$1.5 million.
Adding to the urgency of identifying the dead, Argentine President Cristina Fernandez has pushed to speed up trials in hundreds of human rights cases that were blocked by an amnesty for alleged perpetrators. The amnesty was repealed in 2005.
The campaign could also lead to a more accurate death toll from the "dirty war" against leftist opponents by Argentina's 1976 to 1983 dictatorship, and bridge the gap between the more than 12,000 officially listed as dead or missing and the 30,000 estimated by human rights groups.
"We hope there might be more people coming forward, especially in the provinces," to report missing relatives for the first time, said Luis Alen, a government undersecretary for human rights.
In most cases, remains have never been found, and of those recovered by Doretti's group, fewer than 300 have been identified.
The last identification was in 2005, when DNA testing gave a name to remains that years earlier had washed ashore, apparently tossed from a "death flight" in which drugged prisoners were thrown alive into the sea. French nun Leonie Duquet was given an emotional funeral at the Buenos Aires church where she had been abducted in 1977.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver