Just days after her release on parole, a former 1970s radical was headed back to prison to serve at least one more year after corrections officials said a miscalculation resulted in her early release.
Criticism over the release last Monday of Sara Jane Olson, who lived as a fugitive for years, spurred a review of her sentence and the timing of her parole, Scott Kernan, the chief deputy secretary for the California Department of Corrections, said on Saturday at a news conference. The review revealed that a 2004 miscalculation led to the former Symbionese Liberation Army (SLA) member being freed a year too early, he said.
"The department is sensitive to the impact such an error has had on all involved in this case and sincerely regrets the mistake," Kernan said.
He said the review was ordered "after many concerns raised in the media."
Olson, 61, was detained at Los Angeles International Airport on Friday night and told her right to leave the state had been rescinded. She was sent to stay with family in Palmdale, where authorities kept watch outside the house overnight, and was arrested on Saturday and imprisoned in Corona, southeast of Los Angeles, Kernan said.
She will be returned to the same central California prison that she walked out of last Monday and will not be eligible for release until March 17 next year, he said.
Olson's attorney, Shawn Chapman Holley, called her client's return to custody "ridiculous" and said prison officials caved in to outside influences.
`BOWING TO PRESSURE'
"As far as we're concerned they're bowing to political pressure and they are wrong," Holley said. "It's like they make up all new rules when it comes to her. It's like we are in some kind of fascist state."
The Los Angeles Police Protective League said it was relieved that Olson had been returned to prison, but was "far from satisfied."
"Parole shouldn't even be an option for terrorists who are convicted of murdering innocent bystanders and attempting to murder police officers," said Tim Sands, the group's president. "Anyone who tries to kill police officers should get significant jail time and serve their full sentence."
Olson, formerly known as Kathleen Soliah, was charged in 1975 with attempting to bomb police cars with the SLA, a group best known for kidnapping newspaper heiress Patricia Hearst. But Olson vanished soon after she was charged and reinvented herself as a housewife -- changing her name to Sara Jane Olson, marrying a doctor and becoming a mother of three in St. Paul, Minnesota. She was arrested in 1999 after FBI agents acted on a tip from TV's America's Most Wanted.
In 2001, Olson pleaded guilty to the attempted bombings. She pleaded guilty in 2003 to second-degree murder in the 1975 shooting death of a customer during a bank robbery near Sacramento. After several adjustments, Olson's sentences, to be served consecutively, included 12 years for the attempted bombings and two years for the bank slaying, said Seth Unger, a Department of Corrections spokesman.
The clerical error that resulted in her release came from a failure to properly factor the Sacramento sentence into her parole calculations, Kernan said.
"This is an extremely unusual situation," said Alberto Roldan, the department's general counsel.
CALCULATIONS
Roldan said the long period between Olson's crimes and her sentencing made the calculations difficult. He said Olson's sentence had been reviewed several times and there was no special reason to review her case at the time she was freed. But he said after Olson's release, a reporter pointed out that the Sacramento district attorney's office had expressed concerns about the calculations.
The SLA started in 1973 when around 10 college-educated youths from middle-class families adopted a seven-headed snake as their symbol and an ex-convict as their leader. Their slogan: "Death to the fascist insect that preys upon the life of the people."
Besides kidnapping Hearst, the group claimed responsibility for the murder of a school superintendent and was involved in a bank robbery and other violent activities. Eventually those activities caught up with the group's members, including Olson, who was charged in the attempted bombings.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
The US government has banned US government personnel in China, as well as family members and contractors with security clearances, from any romantic or sexual relationships with Chinese citizens, The Associated Press (AP) has learned. Four people with direct knowledge of the matter told the AP about the policy, which was put into effect by departing US ambassador Nicholas Burns in January shortly before he left China. The people would speak only on condition of anonymity to discuss details of a confidential directive. Although some US agencies already had strict rules on such relationships, a blanket “nonfraternization” policy, as it is known, has
SUSPICION: Junta leader Min Aung Hlaing returned to protests after attending a summit at which he promised to hold ‘free and fair’ elections, which critics derided as a sham The death toll from a major earthquake in Myanmar has risen to more than 3,300, state media said yesterday, as the UN aid chief made a renewed call for the world to help the disaster-struck nation. The quake on Friday last week flattened buildings and destroyed infrastructure across the country, resulting in 3,354 deaths and 4,508 people injured, with 220 others missing, new figures published by state media showed. More than one week after the disaster, many people in the country are still without shelter, either forced to sleep outdoors because their homes were destroyed or wary of further collapses. A UN estimate
OPTIONS: Asked if one potential avenue to a third term was having J.D. Vance run for the top job and then pass the baton to him, Trump said: ‘That’s one,’ among others US President Donald Trump on Sunday that “I’m not joking” about trying to serve a third term, the clearest indication he is considering ways to breach a constitutional barrier against continuing to lead the country after his second term ends at the beginning of 2029. “There are methods which you could do it,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC News from Mar-a-Lago, his private club. He elaborated later to reporters on Air Force One from Florida to Washington that “I have had more people ask me to have a third term, which in a way is a fourth term