General David Petraeus, the top US commander in Iraq, and Ryan Crocker, the US ambassador to Baghdad, have agreed on the details governing the operations of Blackwater and other private security contractors there, US officials said on Tuesday.
The agreement requires all State Department convoys in Iraq to coordinate their movements with the military's main operations center in Baghdad, sets minimum standards for training the contractors and outlines when armed guards can use force in self-defense.
The accord, which runs more than a dozen pages, fleshes out a broad understanding that Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice reached on Oct. 30 to bring Blackwater and other armed contractors under tighter supervision. Their deputies was expected to finalize the accord yesterday, aides said.
"It is a vast improvement on the oversight we had over private security contractors in Iraq," the Pentagon press secretary, Geoff Morrell, said in an e-mail message while traveling with Gates in Southwest Asia. "It will help ensure that all personal security contractors there are operating in a manner that is consistent with our mission to secure Iraq by winning the trust and confidence of its people."
A senior State Department official in Iraq added, "We've racheted up the level of coordination nationwide."
Gates directed Petraeus to report back in three months on how the accord is working, Morrell said.
One important issue the agreement does not address is the legal framework to prosecute any State Department contractors who violate the law. Federal prosecutors have issued grand jury subpoenas to some Blackwater employees present at a shooting in Baghdad on Sept. 16, when the company's security personnel killed 17 Iraqi civilians.
But some government lawyers have expressed concern that existing federal law will not apply to the actions Blackwater employees were accused of committing. The Senate version of the Pentagon's authorization bill, now in a conference committee, contains a provision that says private security contractors, if working in a combat zone, will be subject to Pentagon regulations, no matter which agency employs them.
The new agreement codifies arrangements that have been taking hold in practice since the Sept. 16 shootings.
The acting head of diplomatic security, Gregory Starr, told Blackwater employees last month about restrictions on the use of force for security teams protecting diplomats. He told Blackwater operators that "there needs to be clearer indicators" that an approaching car might hold potential suicide bombers before the contractors could open fire, according to a Blackwater employee who attended the Nov. 14 meeting in Baghdad.
Such indicators, Starr told the contractors, include cars that have a single driver but ride unusually low on their suspensions due to the weight of explosives.
"He wants us to assume more risks," said the Blackwater employee, whose account was confirmed by a State Department official.
Starr also said at the meeting that the State Department had not decided whether or not to replace Blackwater when its contract expires in May.
"He said Blackwater has not lost the contract here in Iraq, and that it entirely depends on our actions from here on out," the Blackwater employee said.
Starr also told the Blackwater employees that the Iraqis had warned him that more wrongful shooting incidents would force the Iraqi government to rescind a law that conferred immunity on private contractors.
The US government is also asking security companies in Iraq to develop a detailed ethics policy and training program by late December, said a US security manager in Baghdad.
"The government of Iraq is asking for more and more requirements from security companies," the security manager said. "This is a healthy sign. It shows that we are stabilizing the environment and that the government of Iraq is taking control."
But the new requirements, including visas and blood tests for all private security guards who enter Iraq, were creating frustration and some confusion among company managers in Iraq because there were no clear guidelines on how to fulfill them, the security manager said.
"Show me a document on how to get a visa: step 1, step 2," the manager said. "The military doesn't know. You ask them these things, and you get a shrug."
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but