Prosecutors filed rebellion charges yesterday against 37 dissident military officers and their supporters -- including a former vice president -- for a failed attempt to trigger an anti-government uprising while seizing a five-star hotel.
The seven-hour standoff was led by 14 officers who walked out of their trial on Thursday on earlier insurrection charges and immediately commandeered the Peninsula Hotel in Manila. They surrendered after government forces drove an armored carrier through the front entrance and fired tear gas and warning shots.
State prosecutors formally charged the suspects, led by Senator Antonio Trillanes, with rebellion after evaluating evidence, including seized weapons and plans allegedly indicating a wider plot to launch a "people power" revolt, a Justice Department resolution said.
Apart from Trillanes, a former navy lieutenant charged with a similar failed power grab in 2003, the former vice president and an opposition activist, Teofisto Guingona, and a retired Roman Catholic bishop were among those who are facing trial.
Guingona, the frail 79-year-old politician who had fallen out with Philippine President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo years ago, was hospitalized due to an unspecified ailment following his arrest after last week's raid.
Retired Bishop Julio Labayen, an outspoken critic of Arroyo, also was released into custody of a fellow bishop.
Police said they were still hunting for at least four officers who escaped after taking over the hotel, including marine Captain Nicanor Faeldon, who has been implicated in past coup attempts.
The government has put up a 1 million peso (US$23,250) reward for information leading to Faeldon's capture.
Arroyo survived three previous coup attempts and three opposition impeachment bids over alleged corruption and human rights abuses during her seven tumultuous years in power.
Before embarking on an eight-day visit to Europe on Saturday, Arroyo called the rebel soldiers desperate "lone wolves" who are blind to the people's wishes, and said government institutions and civil society are strong and stable. Arroyo planned to visit Spain, France and Britain.
During the hotel takeover, US-trained Brigadier General Danilo Lim -- suspected of involvement in another failed coup plot last year -- issued a statement urging Arroyo to resign and asking the armed forces to withdraw support for her.
But their disaffection failed to create a flashpoint for people to flood the streets against Arroyo.
Analysts spoke of a "people power" fatigue, and the fact the events were remarkably similar to four years ago, when the same officers tried the same tactic at another upscale hotel a few blocks away from the Peninsula -- only to give up after a day.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
The US government has banned US government personnel in China, as well as family members and contractors with security clearances, from any romantic or sexual relationships with Chinese citizens, The Associated Press (AP) has learned. Four people with direct knowledge of the matter told the AP about the policy, which was put into effect by departing US ambassador Nicholas Burns in January shortly before he left China. The people would speak only on condition of anonymity to discuss details of a confidential directive. Although some US agencies already had strict rules on such relationships, a blanket “nonfraternization” policy, as it is known, has
OPTIONS: Asked if one potential avenue to a third term was having J.D. Vance run for the top job and then pass the baton to him, Trump said: ‘That’s one,’ among others US President Donald Trump on Sunday that “I’m not joking” about trying to serve a third term, the clearest indication he is considering ways to breach a constitutional barrier against continuing to lead the country after his second term ends at the beginning of 2029. “There are methods which you could do it,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC News from Mar-a-Lago, his private club. He elaborated later to reporters on Air Force One from Florida to Washington that “I have had more people ask me to have a third term, which in a way is a fourth term