Philippine President Gloria Arroyo yesterday slapped a temporary ban on workers traveling to Nigeria for employment after the weekend kidnapping of six Filipinos.
The Philippines is one of the world's biggest exporters of workers and their remittances home are crucial to the country's economic stability.
But Arroyo's spokesman Ignacio Bunye said in a statement that the order to halt workers traveling to Nigeria was issued for safety reasons.
"The president has ordered a temporary halt to deployments to Nigeria until the security of our nationals is guaranteed," Bunye said.
`Kidnapped victims'
"The president is monitoring the situation and the Department of Foreign Affairs is coordinating with the Nigerian authorities to ensure the safety and secure the release of the kidnapped victims," the statement added.
Unknown assailants took six Filipino oil workers and one local staffer hostage on a cargo ship on Saturday in the Niger Delta, the latest in a string of kidnappings in the epicenter of Nigeria's multi-billion-dollar oil industry.
"The vessel is still being held with six Filipinos in it. We understand they are OK. [State] Governor James Ibori is already intervening on the matter," a spokesman for Delta State government, Ozoene Sheddy, said during the weekend.
`Only six taken'
"There were 14 crew members on board but only six were taken," Sheddy said, adding that the cargo ship was heading for the port of Warri, Delta State's capital.
No group has so far directly claimed responsibility for the latest attack, but a prominent separatist group in the region said on Sunday that members of a local community had seized the Filipinos.
"They were taken by a community in that vicinity. The community plans to explain their reason for their abduction today [yesterday]," a member of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) said in an e-mail message.
The latest kidnapping brings to nine the number of foreigners currently being held hostage in the volatile region.
More than 8 million Filipinos -- about a tenth of the population of 86 million -- live and work in over 190 countries and territories.
In the first 11 months of last year they sent home US$11.44 billion,contributing about 10 percent of the Philippines' gross domestic product.
3,900 in Nigeria
Foreign ministry spokesman Ed Malaya said some 3,900 Filipinos were employed in Nigeria at the end of last year.
"It is one of the biggest employers of Filipino workers in Africa," he told AFP.
He said that the the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) would stop issuing authorization for companies to hire Filipino workers to work in Nigeria until further notice.
"Our embassy in Nigeria is working closely with the state and federal authorities to resolve the situation and to seek the safe return of our people," he said.
As of early yesterday, the POEA had not yet issued any advisories or warnings on its Web site about the possible dangers of working in Nigeria.
It listed hundreds of jobs available in the country, ranging from accountants to engineers.
Most of the positions were in the oil industry.
MEND is believed to have been behind the kidnapping, Malaya said.
Attacks
There has been a sharp rise in the number of kidnappings and attacks on oil installations in the Niger Delta since the beginning of last year.
Last year more than 60 foreigners were kidnapped, and dozens of Nigerians were killed by militants and bandits.
Most of the workers kidnapped were employed in the oil industry.
The people of the delta complain that while their region generates 95 percent of Nigeria's foreign earnings, they have little to show for this in terms of development or living standards.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver