More than 10,000 Sri Lankan refugees are fleeing Tamil-Tiger held territory in the island's east, aid workers said yesterday, which analysts said meant a military showdown for control of the area was imminent.
Some on foot, others on tractors, the refugees left the rebel-held town of Vakarai on the island's northeast coast at dawn and were heading south towards government-held territory a few miles away.
"Some of the people are making their way down the coast, others are coming through jungle in vehicles," said Selvaraj Jeyaraj, project coordinator for the Italian Red Cross, by telephone from the eastern district of Batticaloa.
"We are talking about 12,000 internally displaced, more or less," he added.
The UN confirmed the exodus. About 20,000 to 25,000 refugees had already fled Vakarai in recent weeks.
He said about 500 people had reached government territory so far and the Tigers and the military had agreed to halt shelling at the request of the Red Cross after fierce fighting overnight. But sporadic shelling continued.
Neither the military nor the Tigers were immediately available for comment.
Vakarai is in the middle of a 20km long pocket of rebel-held territory, which the military has surrounded after capturing rebel areas in a series of battles in recent months.
The army has accused the Tigers of using displaced ethnic Tamils as human shields and planting thousands of landmines to prevent them leaving. But there has been no independent confirmation any mines had been laid.
"Thousands of people are streaming out," said UN spokeswoman Orla Clinton.
"Because we haven't had access [to Vakarai] since Nov. 29, food has been very short -- these people are obviously weak and afraid and we are looking for assurances their protection will be assured," she said.
Aid agencies, embassies and journalists have been clamoring for weeks to access rebel-held areas, which the government has refused.
The Tigers' eastern territories are cut off from their main northern stronghold by military-held areas.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver