Having sworn revenge on the Internet, an 18-year-old stormed his former high school in Germany on Monday armed with guns and bombs and wounded 27 people before police found him dead and wired with explosives.
Four students aged 12 to 16 and the head caretaker at the school in Emsdetten, near the Dutch border, suffered gunshot wounds. Several of the injuries were serious, but none were life-threatening.
Another 20 people, mostly police officers who rushed to the scene, were hurt by smoke bombs detonated by the masked gunman. Witnesses and German media identified him as Sebastian Bosse, who had completed his studies in June.
The incident brought back memories of a shooting rampage in the eastern German city of Erfurt in 2002, when an alienated former pupil killed himself and 16 others, most of them teachers.
Police and students described the attacker as a misfit obsessed with violence and guns. He was due to go on trial yesterday after he was caught with a loaded pistol several months ago. His father collapsed after hearing what his son had done and was being treated in hospital.
"He seems to have been frustrated by a lack of meaning in his life," state prosecutor Wolfgang Schweer said. "It appears that he was a loner who decided on his own to do this."
Witnesses said the masked gunman parked his car nearby and opened fire as soon as he entered the schoolyard, wounding several people and sending students running in all directions.
The first patrol car arrived at the scene six minutes after a distress call from a school secretary, prompting the attacker to withdraw to the second floor, said Hans Volkmann, a senior police officer.
Heavily armed police searched the building room by room, evacuating four more terrified students. They found the assailant lying dead near two of his guns, a knife strapped to his leg.
Schweer said later on ZDF TV that the attacker was armed with four rifles. Police recovered his body in the evening after explosives experts defused three homemade pipe bombs on his body and five more in his backpack. Four more bombs were found in his car.
Volkmann said the man had been "wired" to some of the bombs. He said the assailant's face was "unrecognizable" because of serious injuries. He said the assailant's face was ``unrecognizable'' because of serious injuries, but that it was not clear if he had shot himself or was killed by one of his bombs. Police fired no shots, he said.
Bosse's Internet site showed him posing in military-style uniform and brandishing a gun. The site was inaccessible soon after the attack.
Bosse raged against politicians, the police and above all his teachers and fellow students for treating him as a ``loser.'' He said he had decided to take revenge and ``disappear from this life.''
"This revenge will be carried out so brutally and without quarter, that the blood will freeze in your veins," he wrote.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver