Youths torched two buses and police arrested 25 people in French suburbs on the first anniversary of violent riots that spread through France but officials said yesterday it was a relatively quiet night.
Two men boarded a bus in the Seine-Saint-Denis area north of Paris on Friday evening, ordering about 15 passengers and the drivers off before setting it alight.
Another bus was set ablaze in another part of the suburb, police said.
The two attackers, wearing hoods, burned two buses on Friday night on the anniversary of the start of last year's suburban unrest.
The two buses were attacked separately in Le Blanc-Mesnil, north of Paris.
The passengers and drivers of both buses were able to escape unharmed, said the Paris-area transportation authority, RATP.
In one of the attacks, assailants broke the bus' windows and threw firebombs into the vehicle.
A spokeswoman for the transportation authority said that she was unsure if the bombs were thrown before or after the passengers had left the bus.
`QUIET NIGHT'
"Few incidents have been recorded during the night of Oct. 27 and 28" the Interior Ministry said in a statement. "[It was] a relatively quiet night."
Around 4,000 extra police officers were deployed on Friday night, the ministry said, adding that "This allowed [them] to intervene rapidly where certain acts were being committed."
Six police officers were slightly injured, it said.
In southern Toulouse, the town of Meaux east of Paris and in Clichy-Sous-Bois, the northeastern Paris suburb where last year's riots started, youths attacked some police officers and set cars ablaze, the ministry said.
After several attacks on police in poor suburbs in past weeks, police had said the violence could spiral out of control as the anniversary of last year's riots approached.
But the fears appeared unfounded yesterday.
"It's lively but it's not the riots of last year," one police source said during the night.
REMEMBERING
During the day on Friday, several hundred people in this poor Parisian suburb participated in a silent march in memory of two teenagers whose accidental deaths last year triggered three weeks of unrest that shook the country.
In speeches after the march, officials and family members of the teenagers called for calm.
The marchers, many of them youths wearing white T-shirts bearing the words "Dead for Nothing," paused by the power substation where the teenagers died.
The unrest last year, during which thousands of cars were set ablaze and businesses were damaged, shed light on the plight of the country's underprivileged populations, mainly Arabs and black Africans and their French-born children, who feel disenfranchised.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver