An al-Qaeda-linked group posted a Web video purporting to show the bodies of two US soldiers being dragged behind a truck and then set on fire in apparent retaliation for the alleged rape-slaying of a young Iraqi woman by US troops from the same unit.
The Mujahidin Shura Council -- an umbrella organization of insurgent groups, including al-Qaeda in Iraq -- posted a previous video in June that showed the soldiers' mutilated bodies, claiming it had killed them.
It was not clear whether Saturday's video was a continuation of that footage, or why it was released.
The new footage came hours after the posting of another al-Qaeda video, an apparent rerelease of a tape showing the execution of a Turkish hostage by the man purported to be the new leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq.
The images would be the first of Abu Ayyub al-Masri to be released since the group announced that he had succeeded Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, who was killed by a US airstrike in Iraq on June 7.
Both videos appeared just as Sunni Arabs in Iraq began Ramadan, the Islamic holy month. US officials have warned that attacks could intensify during Ramadan.
It was impossible to identify the bodies in the second video, but it was believed to show Private Kristian Menchaca, 23, and Private Thomas Tucker, 25, who went missing after being attacked by insurgents on June 16 at a checkpoint south of Baghdad.
The remains of the soldiers were found three days later, and the US military said they had been mutilated.
The video showed masked men dragging the corpses and later setting them on fire.
Below the graphic footage was a subtitle: "The two soldiers belong to the same brigade of the soldier who raped our sister in Mahmoudiya."
The US military has charged four soldiers of the 101st Airborne Division -- Specialist James Barker, Sergeant Paul Cortez, Private Jesse Spielman and Private Bryan Howard -- in the March 12 alleged rape and murder of teenager Abeer Qassim al-Janabi in Mahmoudiya, approximately 30km south of Baghdad.
A fifth suspect, Private Steven Green, was discharged from the army because of a "personality disorder" before the allegations became known.
He has pleaded not guilty to rape and murder charges and is being held in a civilian court in the US.
The two slain soldiers also were from the 101st Airborne Division.
The video of the Turkish hostage first appeared on Aug. 2, 2004.
It shows what has since then become an iconic scene of violence in Iraq -- three masked men standing behind a hostage seated on the ground.
The militant in the middle, identified in the latest Web posting as al-Masri, read a statement in Arabic, followed by the hostage, Murad Yucer from Ankara, who read his own statement, this time in Turkish.
After Yucer finished reading his statement, al-Masri shot him three times in the head.
When Melinda Gates asked her husband, Microsoft Corp cofounder Bill Gates, to let her coauthor the 2013 annual letter about their foundation, the conversation blew up into a fight. “It got hot,” Melinda Gates wrote in her 2019 book The Moment of Lift. “Bill said the process we had for the Annual Letter had been working well for the foundation for years, and he didn’t see why it should change,” she wrote. Ultimately, Bill Gates agreed for her to write a separate piece about contraceptives, while he penned the main letter about the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’s work. In the next year’s letter,
Part of a huge rocket that launched China’s first module for its Tianhe space station is falling back to Earth and could make an uncontrolled re-entry at an unknown landing point. The 30m-high core of the Long March 5B rocket on Thursday launched the “Heavenly Harmony” uncrewed core module into low Earth orbit from Wenchang in China’s Hainan Province. The Long March 5B then itself entered a temporary orbit, setting the stage for one of the largest-ever uncontrolled re-entries. Some experts fear it could land on an inhabited area. “It’s potentially not good,” said Jonathan McDowell, astrophysicist at the Astrophysics Center at Harvard
Remnants of China’s largest rocket launched last week were expected to plunge back through the atmosphere late yesterday or early today, a US federally funded space-focused research and development center said. The Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Friday that most debris from the rocket would be burned up on re-entry and is highly unlikely to cause any harm, after the US military said that what it called an uncontrolled re-entry was being tracked by US Space Command. In a Twitter post sent on Friday evening in the US, the Aerospace Corporation said that the latest prediction for the re-entry of
PRIORITIZING SECURITY: Australian Senator Matthew Canavan wrote on Twitter that the officials should be helping ‘Aussies in India return home, not jailing them’ Australia yesterday defended its decision to penalize its own citizens entering the country within two weeks of being in COVID-ravaged India, saying that it had a “strong, clear and absolute” belief that the move was legal. Australian Minister of Health Greg Hunt pointed to the alarming surge of COVID-19 cases in India and the pressure on Australia’s healthcare system as reasons to pause travel until Saturday next week. Australia’s quarantine hotels have seen a 1,500 percent spike in COVID-19 cases from India since March, raising questions about pre-departure testing in India and leading to this “agonizing decision,” Hunt said. “It’s a high-risk situation