Leaders in Bolivia's wealthiest region expressed alarm after the leftist government announced plans to redistribute up to 140,000km2 of land to the poor -- starting in about three weeks.
The majority of the land to be redistributed -- an area roughly the size of Greece -- lies in the eastern lowlands of Santa Cruz Province, an agricultural region that is the impoverished Andean nation's economic engine.
The powerful Santa Cruz Civic Committee published a letter on Tuesday asking Bolivian President Evo Morales to work with Provincial Governor Ruben Costas and local business groups to reach a consensus on the land reform.
"We should be part of the creation and definition of such policies," the letter stated.
Costas himself said that he would launch a parallel plan for "democratic and egalitarian" land reform.
Morales, whose government has close ties to Cuban President Fidel Castro and Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, has set May 31 as the date to begin redistributing between 107,000km2 and 140,000km2 of land the government says was obtained illegally and is not being used to grow crops. The area is roughly one-tenth of Bolivia.
Ten years ago, Bolivia's government ordered the National Institute of Agrarian Reform to distribute 1 million km2 of land, but so far only 17 percent of this has been handed over.
"Our objective is to take back land that isn't being worked. The policy of the government is directed toward not just aiding the right to property, but encourage agricultural mechanization," said Hugo Salvatierra, Bolivia's rural development minister.
Santa Cruz Province, where the land lies, contributes one-third of Bolivia's GDP.
It's also where most of the large and legally dubious landholdings exist, according to the government.
Much of the land in question was given away in the 1970s when Bolivia was under dictatorship, especially during former president Hugo Banzer's rule from 1971 to 1978.
In recent years, landless movements in Santa Cruz increasingly have been pushing their way onto properties, often triggering violent standoffs with landowners.
The land reform announcement comes just a week after Morales nationalized Bolivia's natural gas industry, sending troops to guard installations, and as the campaign to elect members of Bolivia's constituent assembly heats up.
Morales is hoping his party will win a majority of the seats for the assembly, which will rewrite the Constitution starting in August.
In office just three months, the leftist Morales has already had several confrontations with the business-friendly Santa Cruz leaders, who have long clashed with the central government and demanded more autonomy.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
The US government has banned US government personnel in China, as well as family members and contractors with security clearances, from any romantic or sexual relationships with Chinese citizens, The Associated Press (AP) has learned. Four people with direct knowledge of the matter told the AP about the policy, which was put into effect by departing US ambassador Nicholas Burns in January shortly before he left China. The people would speak only on condition of anonymity to discuss details of a confidential directive. Although some US agencies already had strict rules on such relationships, a blanket “nonfraternization” policy, as it is known, has
OPTIONS: Asked if one potential avenue to a third term was having J.D. Vance run for the top job and then pass the baton to him, Trump said: ‘That’s one,’ among others US President Donald Trump on Sunday that “I’m not joking” about trying to serve a third term, the clearest indication he is considering ways to breach a constitutional barrier against continuing to lead the country after his second term ends at the beginning of 2029. “There are methods which you could do it,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC News from Mar-a-Lago, his private club. He elaborated later to reporters on Air Force One from Florida to Washington that “I have had more people ask me to have a third term, which in a way is a fourth term