Four suspected Islamic militants went on trial yesterday for their alleged role in last year's suicide bombings on Bali -- attacks a prosecutor said were aimed at avenging Muslims' deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan.
If found guilty, they could face the death penalty under anti-terror laws.
Security was tight at the trials, the first to be held over the triple bombings that killed 20 people and were blamed on Jemaah Islamiyah, an al-Qaeda-linked Southeast Asian terror group.
The group is blamed for several strikes since 2000 in Indonesia, including the 2002 nightclub blasts also on Bali that killed 202 people, most of them foreign tourists.
Prosecutor Olopan Nainggolan read from a videotaped statement of responsibility released soon after the blasts by the alleged ringleader, Noordin Top, to shed light on possible motives of the accused.
"We declare our enemies are those that help the American alliance kill Muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan," Nainggolan quoted the statement as saying. "This was revenge for that."
Facing trial are Dwi Widianto, 30; Mohammad Cholily, 28; Abdul Azis, 30; and Anif Solchanudin, 24.
Support team?
All are accused of "carrying out or taking part" in the blasts at three crowded restaurants, including by making, supplying and transporting the explosives, and sheltering Noordin.
The indictments revealed that the plotters communicated using instant messaging over the Internet, and that the three backpack bombs were built on Indonesia's main island of Java before being taken to Bali.
Prosecutors said that Azis was tasked with distributing Top's videotaped message of responsibility on a Web site. Solchanudin, meanwhile, had trained to be a fourth suicide bomber, but did not take part in the attacks for unknown reasons, they said.
"The accused underwent physical and mental training for being a suicide bomber," the prosecutor said at Solchanudin's trial. "He was told that if he spilled his own blood then the doors of heaven would be open for him and 70 members of his family."
One suspect, Cholily, shouted "God is Great" while being led from the court building, but the proceedings were orderly compared with other militant trials in Indonesia, which are often marred by rowdy supporters and angry outbursts from the accused.
Four Australians and one Japanese citizen died in the attacks at the three restaurants. The rest of the fatalities were Indonesians. At least 100 others were wounded in the blasts.
The trials took place in Bali's main town, Denpasar, a short journey from the scene of the bombings in two of the island's main tourist districts.
Adjourned
The men are being tried individually, in separate courtrooms.
Prosecutors read out their indictments against the men, who were not required to enter a plea or respond to the charges.
The trials were adjourned and will continue next week, when defense lawyers will present their objections to the charges.
Courts in Indonesia have sentenced scores of suspected Jemaah Islamiyah operatives in recent years, including handing down death sentences to three militants found guilty in the Bali bombing in 2002.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver