A Japanese high court yesterday rejected an appeal by 77 residents demanding that the government revoke a decision to allow construction of a uranium enrichment plant in northern Japan, a court officials said.
The Sendai High Court upheld a lower court ruling and dismissed the appeal, said court spokesman Hiroki Kadowaki, who declined to provide any details of the ruling.
The government gave Japan Nuclear Fuel Ltd a green light to operate the plant in Rokkasho village in Aomori prefecture in 1988, but residents filed a suit in 1989 saying the plant could pose dangers during strong earthquakes and other disasters.
The Aomori District Court in 2002 dismissed the case, and the residents appealed.
Yesterday, high court Judge Hiroshi Ohashi supported the earlier ruling that the government had conducted appropriate safety checks and there was no need to revoke the approval for the project, Kyodo News agency reported.
The plant is one of several facilities at the center of Japan's ambitions to use experimental fast breeder reactors to boost the country's self sufficiency in energy. The residents are also demanding that the government revoke its approval of other Rokkasho plants in separate lawsuits that are still pending.
Japan Nuclear Fuel started operating the uranium enrichment plant and two radioactive waste processing facilities in the 1990s, with the reprocessing plant due for completion next year.
The ¥2.19 trillion (US$19.7 billion) Rokkasho plant, which began operating in the early 1990s as a nuclear fuel storage site, is also a planned site to burn reprocessed nuclear fuel called mixed oxide, or MOX.
The reprocessing plant started a test-run in late March following delays by a radioactive water leak and public opposition.
The government has said it hopes to convert as many as 18 electricity-generating reactors to use MOX produced at Rokkasho as part of the country's transition to fast-breeder reactors.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
SUSPICION: Junta leader Min Aung Hlaing returned to protests after attending a summit at which he promised to hold ‘free and fair’ elections, which critics derided as a sham The death toll from a major earthquake in Myanmar has risen to more than 3,300, state media said yesterday, as the UN aid chief made a renewed call for the world to help the disaster-struck nation. The quake on Friday last week flattened buildings and destroyed infrastructure across the country, resulting in 3,354 deaths and 4,508 people injured, with 220 others missing, new figures published by state media showed. More than one week after the disaster, many people in the country are still without shelter, either forced to sleep outdoors because their homes were destroyed or wary of further collapses. A UN estimate
The US government has banned US government personnel in China, as well as family members and contractors with security clearances, from any romantic or sexual relationships with Chinese citizens, The Associated Press (AP) has learned. Four people with direct knowledge of the matter told the AP about the policy, which was put into effect by departing US ambassador Nicholas Burns in January shortly before he left China. The people would speak only on condition of anonymity to discuss details of a confidential directive. Although some US agencies already had strict rules on such relationships, a blanket “nonfraternization” policy, as it is known, has
OPTIONS: Asked if one potential avenue to a third term was having J.D. Vance run for the top job and then pass the baton to him, Trump said: ‘That’s one,’ among others US President Donald Trump on Sunday that “I’m not joking” about trying to serve a third term, the clearest indication he is considering ways to breach a constitutional barrier against continuing to lead the country after his second term ends at the beginning of 2029. “There are methods which you could do it,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC News from Mar-a-Lago, his private club. He elaborated later to reporters on Air Force One from Florida to Washington that “I have had more people ask me to have a third term, which in a way is a fourth term