The death toll in a Chinese coal mine explosion rose to 164 yesterday with seven missing, but rescuers were still unsure how many workers were underground during the accident, highlighting the disorganized state of the country's disaster-plagued industry.
Rescuers were still combing the debris at the Dongfeng Coal Mine in northeast Heilongjiang Province for more bodies and at least seven people were still missing, the official Xinhua News Agency said.
Hope was fading fast for their survival, it said.
Workers who had been rescued just a day after the explosion told of breathing through wet towels and trying not to pass out for 17 hours in the smoke-filled pit, said one account.
Meanwhile, two mine officials had been detained for dereliction of duty, the China Daily said, but did not give any details.
One of them, Ma Jinguang, the head of Dongfeng, had been declared a role model in mine management 10 days before the Nov. 27 accident, the newspaper said.
The other was Chen Zhiqiang, the local communist party secretary, it said. The mine's license was suspended yesterday, Xinhua reported.
Zhang Chengxiang, the director of the provincial work safety bureau, was quoted as saying that the mine had "serious problems" in its management.
A man who answered the telephone at the Dongfeng mine refused to give any details on the detentions or the number of missing or dead miners.
On Wednesday, just hours after state television reported that only one miner was unaccounted for, the death toll jumped to 161 from the 150 reported earlier in the day when rescuers pulled yet more bodies from the pit.
Officials initially put the number of miners working underground to 221 when the blast occurred based on how many miners' lamps were handed out.
But work safety officials now say it's inaccurate because some miners had registered for work but did not go down the shaft, Xinhua said.
The China Daily said yesterday that at least 20 more miners were unaccounted for, although numbers have varied since the accident.
China's mines are the deadliest in the world, with fires, floods, cave-ins and other disasters reported almost daily.
The government has unveiled one initiative after another to try to stem the carnage, vowing to step up safety inspections and punish mine owners who put profits over lives.
Many of the mine disasters are blamed on managers who ignore safety rules or fail to install required ventilation or fire control equipment, often in collusion with local officials. The issue is further complicated by the country's soaring demands for power to drive its booming economy.
Mine accidents in China killed 6,027 people last year, according to government figures _ a rate of 16 deaths each day.
Authorities say they have shut down more than 12,000 coal mines this year for inspections.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver