Australia will consider broadening its immigration laws to deport immigrants -- including permanent residents and naturalized citizens -- who hold extremist views, the attorney general said yesterday.
Under existing laws, the government can deny entry to extremists on character, as well as security grounds, Attorney-General Philip Ruddock said.
"One of the aspects of the character tests that we have applied for entry to Australia has included people who may promote views that are broadly unacceptable to the Australian community," Ruddock told reporters in Sydney.
He said the government will now consider widening that law to cover immigrants already in the country, including permanent residents and naturalized citizens, to deport those who promote extremist views.
Ruddock's comments came after the federal police commissioner, Mick Keelty, confirmed this week that intelligence authorities are aware of about 60 Islamic extremists living in Australia, including a self-styled Islamic cleric who appeared on television calling Osama bin Laden a "great man."
The Australian-Algerian cleric, Abu Bakr, also said that it was acceptable under Islamic law for Australian Muslims to fight a holy war against coalition forces in Iraq.
Under existing laws, naturalized Australian citizens can only be removed from the country if they are found to have obtained their citizenship through fraud, Ruddock said.
Ruddock, however, acknowledged that it would be difficult to deport a naturalized citizen because those stripped of their Australian nationality would be left "stateless."
"The idea that you could remove people who were stateless is ... somewhat naive," Ruddock said. "Countries won't accept people back unless they are their citizens."
The issue will likely be on the agenda of a counterrorism meeting of state and federal leaders called by Prime Minister John Howard for next month to discuss tightening security in the country.
evacuation plan
In other related news, the newly elected leader of Australia's most populous state yesterday defended his decision to release details of Sydney's evacuation plan in the event of a terror attack.
New South Wales Premier Morris Iemma stood by the release of information, saying the plan had been developed in cooperation with emergency services personnel.
Iemma's "counter-terrorism evacuation plan," released Friday, revealed which parts of the city residents of Sydney would be marshalled to in the event of an attack.
It has been criticized as merely giving information to potential terrorists on where to detonate secondary bombs to cause even more injury and damage.
But Iemma said the sites were under constant surveillance by police.
"Quite clearly you need to provide information for office workers, for shoppers as to where they should go if there's an incident," he told reporters.
confusion and fear
"What we do know from attacks and from incidents is that they do cause confusion and fear and there is a risk of further injury as a result of fear and confusion," he said.
"This is designed to minimize that and it is about minimizing the risk," he added.
Security experts have criticized the plan, which will be administered by volunteers.
"Why would they release anything like that," counter-terrorism expert Tony Loughran said.
"It doesn't make sense to reveal these locations. In this type of situation, there is still the potential for another payload to go off. And, anyway, unless you are at the epicenter, you should stay inside," he told the Sydney Morning Herald.
Iemma became premier on Wednesday following the resignation of Bob Carr after more than 10 years in the job.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver