Bomb explosions rocked two small Istanbul hotels and a gas plant in apparent terrorist strikes yesterday that killed two people and injured nine others, police said.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility but a police official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Kurdish rebels could be behind the attacks, which came within hours of the arrest on Monday night of four Kurdish militants in the city.
PHOTO: AFP
Islamic and leftist militants are also active in the city.
The Kurdish rebels, battling Turkish troops in the southeast for autonomy, have intensified attacks lately. The rebel group, KONGRA-GEL, had threatened to target the country's tourism industry and infrastructure when it broke a unilateral ceasefire on June 1, saying Turkey had not responded in kind.
Private NTV television said the Kurds captured on Monday were allegedly preparing large-scale attacks in Istanbul.
Tayfun Demiroren, an official at the liquefied petroleum gas plant on the outskirts of Istanbul, said two bombs had been placed under storage tanks. The explosions, half an hour apart, followed shortly after an anonymous bomb threat, police said.
There were no casualties at the plant, where cooking gas canisters were filled, and a gas leak had been brought under control, Demiroren said.
Two earlier explosions rocked inexpensive hotels in the city at around 2am, police said.
Workers at the Pars hotel in the Laleli district, where inexpensive hotels and clothing stores cater to Eastern European tourists, said they received an anonymous call saying there was a bomb in a room only 10 minutes before the explosion, the news agency Anatolia reported. The two dead, an Iranian and a Turk, were killed at the Pars hotel, police said. Thirty-seven guests were staying at the hotel.
At the second target, the Star Holiday Hotel in the Sultanahmet area, site of the Ottoman Topkapi Palace, glass and chunks of concrete littered the streets behind the hotel.
"It appears to be a terrorist attack," Police Chief Celalettin Cerrah told Anatolia.
Police said there were injured at both hotels. Among them were two Dutch tourists, a Ukrainian and two Chinese tourists. Seven of the injured have been released from hospital, Anatolia said.
Police cordoned off the area around the Star Holiday Hotel, only a few hundred meters from the Byzantine former church Saint Sophia and the Sultanahmet or Blue Mosque. A forensic police team was behind the hotel photographing damage.
"There was a huge explosion and the glass started shattering," said Umut Akgul, who had been visiting a friend who works at the Star Holiday Hotel at the time of the blast. Akgul said he ran to the back of the three-story hotel and started to help evacuate tourists after the explosion, which ripped off the exterior walls of the top two floors.
Security concerns in Turkey have been heightened since last November, when four suicide truck bombings blamed on the al-Qaeda terrorist network killed more than 60 people in Istanbul.
The blasts occurred a few kilometers from the hotel where the US Olympic men's basketball team is staying during the final stop of its pre-Olympic tour. The team toured Topkapi Palace on Monday, guarded by a large contingent of police. They were scheduled to play Turkey in an exhibition game last night.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver