A member of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat's Fatah movement shot and wounded an official of a pro-Syrian faction Saturday in a refugee camp of south Lebanon, Palestinian sources said.
According to the report, Fatah member Hussein Seyyed stormed into offices in the Ain el-Hilweh camp to demanded the immediate release of his son, was being questioned on suspicions of rape.
Seyyed began shooting when his demands were not met, wounding Abed Makdah, an official of the pro-Syrian group Al Saiqa and the head of a committee holding the rape suspect.
Seyyed's son was also wounded, it was reported.
Tensions have risen in the camp since Thursday when four people were wounded in a dispute between a member of a small Islamist group and Fatah members. Some 367,000 Palestinians live in Lebanon, more than half in a dozen camps dotted around the country.
In other developments, Palestinian kidnappers won promises of payoffs for themselves and for comrades in Israeli prisons Saturday in exchange for freeing three foreign church workers, Palestinian officials said.
The promises by the Palestinian Authority came in a new test of strength between militant groups and the security forces, which recently were put under the authority of Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia.
The flare-up of trouble indicated that the agreement last week by Qureia and Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat to share control of the security forces has failed to calm the underlying tensions that led to a paralyzing leadership crisis between the two men.
Five gunmen seized the three church volunteers -- an American, a Briton and an Irishmen -- Friday night near their apartments and took them to the Balata refugee camp.
At around the same time, about a dozen armed men broke into the governor's building in the northern West Bank town of Jenin and set it on fire.
Both groups demanded financial support from the Palestinian Authority, which gives unofficial payments to militants sought by Israel, according to security officials and the militants themselves.
The Palestinian Authority officially denies that it funds the militants, but some officials, including lawmakers, say support is given to militants who pledge not to attack targets inside Israel.
Officials said the kidnappers, who belonged to a splinter group of the Al Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades, were told that all their demands will be met, and that the abduction was undermining the Palestinian cause in the eyes of the world.
The demands were for an unspecified amount of support for themselves and for imprisoned comrades, and the promise was made with Arafat's approval, the officials said.
The militants drove the hostages to a park in the early hours of Saturday and called the security forces to pick them up, the officials said.
The foreigners were first taken to the Nablus office of the Palestinian intelligence, then spent the rest of the night as guests of Ghassan Shaka'a, a close aide of Yasser Arafat.
The released hostages refused to speak to reporters, and their identities were not released.
The chief of Palestinian intelligence services in Nablus, Talal Duikat, said Saturday that his forces were searching for four known suspects wanted in an investigation into the kidnappings. The suspects were not related to any specific group, Duikat said.
Palestinian security forces were ``shocked'' by the kidnappings and Arafat instructed them ny phone to do everything to get the captives released quickly, Duikat said.
"The kidnappings have grave significance for the Palestinian people," Duikat said in a press conference. "I say to the entire world that we will protect every person who comes to visit us and they don't have anything to be afraid of."
In Jenin, the local commander of the Al Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades, Zakaria Zubeidi, and his followers gutted the headquarters of the newly appointed governor, Qaddora Mousa. The building was empty and no one was hurt.
Zubeidi made no attempt to hide his identity, and returned to the burned out building in the morning carrying an assault rifle for the benefit of photographers.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver