A UN envoy said after talks with Iraq's top Shiite cleric yesterday that the world body backs his calls for elections but did not go into the timing of such polls.
Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani "is insistent on holding the elections and we are with him on this 100 percent because elections are the best means to enable any people to set up a state that serves their interest," Lakhdar Brahimi told reporters after holding two hours of talks with the cleric who holds the key to Iraq's political future.
The most revered man in Iraq for the country's Shiites, who make up around 60 percent of the population, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, has called for direct elections before US occupiers hand back sovereignty to Iraqis by the middle of this year.
UN envoy Lakhdar Brahimi heads a UN team that is in the country to discuss the possibility of holding elections ahead of the June 30 deadline.
Brahimi, an Algerian, met the reclusive cleric in the holy city of Najaf the day after a suicide bomb in Baghdad killed 47 people at an army recruitment center. A similar attack on Tuesday killed 53 people lining up for jobs at a police station.
Brahimi was accompanied by an Arab aide and Iraqi UN guards into Sistani's well-guarded complex. The 73-year-old leader has not ventured out of his house or met a Westerner for years, aides say.
Sistani, whose top religious rank grants him powerful influence in the Shiite community, called mass demonstrations earlier this year to press for elections to replace a US plan to choose a government through regional caucuses. US plans are for elections only next year.
Brahimi is due to leave Iraq by Friday at the latest, a senior US-led administration official has said. The rest of the UN team has started touring provinces. UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan is expected to give his opinion on the elections on Feb. 21.
In the latest bout of violence, the US Army's 1st Armored Division said a bomb exploded on Wednesday evening as troops were passing by in their vehicles, killing two soldiers.
The attack on the US patrol came hours after the second major suicide attack in 24 hours aimed at Iraqis working with the US occupying forces.
Only a few of the bodies from Wednesday's blast had been taken for burial. Doctors said some corpses were difficult to identify due to mutilation or bad burns.
The police and new army are central to Washington's plan to hand over power to Iraqis. Most of Wednesday's 47 victims were newly recruited soldiers.
The attacks follow a pattern of targeting Iraqis seen as collaborating with the US occupation.
Meanwhile, though the US military knows 537 of its soldiers have been killed in the war in Iraq, and can cite names and know how and when they died, when it comes to dead Iraqi civilians, it will not even talk hundreds or thousands.
Independent think tanks estimate as many as 10,000 civilians may have died as a direct result of the US-led military intervention in Iraq, either during the war or in attacks aimed at uprooting the US occupation.
US authorities in Iraq say they keep no official tally.
"We don't track, we don't have the capacity to track all civilian casualties," Brigadier-General Mark Kimmitt said.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver