The number two man at the French telecom powerhouse, Alcatel, is highly optimistic about Taiwan's third-generation (3G) market, saying the nation is poised to become one of the leading telecom countries in Asia Pacific, along with Japan and Korea.
"The time for 3G services to take off in Taiwan is going to come soon. By 2005, approximately 15 percent of citizens around the country will be 3G users," said Ron Spithill, executive vice president of Alcatel.
PHOTO: ALCATEL
Spithill explained that, with the number of broadband-Internet subscribers and mobile-phone users growing rapidly, Taiwanese demand for mobile Internet services appears high.
The executive predicted that 3G will fare better than it has in Europe since the license pricing strategy in Taiwan is much more reasonable than in Europe. "The license fees charged here are more affordable," Spithill said.
Late last year Alcatel demonstrated its growing commitment to Taiwan's telecom sector by announcing plans to invest NT$93 million (three million euros) in a 3G appliance testing center in Taipei, Spithill said.
Besides having strong ties with Taiwanese telecom giant Chunghwa Telecom Co (中華電信), Alcatel has also aligned with Japan-based Fujutsu to provide telecom equipment and solutions to 3G operators worldwide. International customers include Orange in France, TWN in Portugal, ETA in Poland and KB Impuls in Russia.
Meanwhile, one industry watcher said that, although Alcatel was awarded a NT$7.1 billion (US$218.3 million) ADSL contract with Chung-hwa Telecom last year, and these two ventures have a joint venture telecom firm, these connections may not directly benefit the French company's 3G prospects.
"Since Chunghwa is a state-run company, all business contracts have to be auctioned openly rather than choosing partners by themselves," said Nathan Lin (
Entering Taiwan in 1973, Alcatel set up a local subsidiary, Taiwan International Standard Electronics Ltd (
Meanwhile, another pundit from a government think tank said Alcatel's 3G market expectation is "over-optimistic."
"Alcatel is the wireless equipment provider, so, of course the company will try to say something positive," said Su yu-yi (
Delays in making 3G reality may slow future growth potential.
"I believe that, by 2005, 3G services will still be in the initial stage, with less than 10 percent of mobile users connecting to it," Su said.
The major hurdles -- according to the Japanese experience -- are handset over-heating, short battery life and hefty cellphone costs, Su said.
Japan's leading mobile phone operator, NTT DoCoMo, launched the world's first 3G service in October last year. But the public's reaction has not been good, with many mobile phones malfunctioning and NTT being forced to lower their market estimate for this year, Su said.
Su stressed that the foundations for a 3G service have not been laid yet. "Currently, all of the mobile operators, system builders and application suppliers are still `testing and searching' better solutions, and these steps take time and a huge investment," Su said.
Taiwan started its auction of 3G licenses last Wednesday, with six telecom conglomerates competing for five licenses to offer high-speed wireless Internet services. The bidding process is supposed to end by the end of January.
The six contenders are Taiwan Cellular Corp (台灣大哥大), Chung-hwa Telecom, Yuan-Ze Telecom Co (遠致電信), Asia Pacific Broadband Wireless Communication Inc (亞太行動寬頻), 3GO Telecommunications Corp (世界全通) and Taiwan PCS Network Inc (聯邦電信).
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats