The Han Kuang military drills entered their seventh day today, with a focus on prolonged defensive operations.
Units simulated a scenario in which the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) successfully established beachheads in an invasion of Taiwan, requiring units to block its advance inland toward Taipei.
In Taipei, the 202nd Military Police Command practiced delaying a simulated PLA advance into the city by blocking and fortifying the Wanban Bridge (萬板大橋) that connects New Taipei City’s Banciao District District (板橋) with Taipei’s Wanhua District (萬華), closing the bridge from 11pm yesterday to 6am today.
Photo: Chen Yi-kuan, Taipei Times
The drill began with military police building a four-tier blockade on the bridge within two hours in anticipation of incoming PLA troops.
The temporary 690m-long blockade was made up of roadblocks, civilian buses and barbed wire barricades, as well as newly acquired Hesco bastions: modern, collapsible barriers made of wire mesh and fabric.
Used in Iraq and Afghanistan, these barriers were originally designed for flood control and military fortifications, and have the advantage of accelerating the construction of temporary defenses.
Photo: Wang Yi-sung, Taipei Times
During the drill, military police first used drones to detect the PLA's deployment remotely before simulating opening fire at the Chinese troops.
The second part of the drill simulated PLA troops breaking through three of the four levels of the blockade set up by Taiwan's forces before being fired on by Taiwanese snipers from high points.
The exercise was a continuation of drills from yesterday, during which soldiers practiced using the city’s MRT system to reinforce positions, reach a target area and engage the enemy.
Also in the north, the 269 Mechanized Infantry Brigade carried out defensive exercises against a simulated enemy landing in the Port of Taipei in New Taipei City's Bali District (八里), seeking to hold key strategic positions.
In Lieyu (Little Kinmen, 烈嶼), which lies to the west of Kinmen County's main island, a garrison was deployed to Kinmen Bridge (金門大橋) to guard critical infrastructure and counter an enemy invasion.
Reservists continued to participate in the military exercises and training in various locations around Taiwan.
In Miaoli County, reservists in the 302nd Infantry Brigade continued simulated combat drills and practiced battlefield medical evacuation operations.
Additionally, civilian urban resilience drills started today in central Taiwan, including Taichung, Miaoli County, Nantou County and Changhua County.
They are to continue tomorrow in the south, on Thursday in northern Taiwan and on Friday in the east.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not