The Ministry of Transportation and Communications (MOTC) yesterday previewed proposed regulatory changes that would increase penalties for drivers who injure pedestrians.
The ministry would amend the Chart for Standard Rates for Fines Regarding Traffic Violations (違反道路交通管理事件統一裁罰基準表) so that the fine for failing to stop for a pedestrian leading to minor injury would rise to a maximum of NT$30,000, while the fine for causing serious injury or death would be NT$36,000.
The new regulations could take effect as early as the end of next month, it said.
Photo: Tu Chien-jung, Taipei Times
Following the June 2023 amendment to the Road Traffic Management and Penalty Act (道路交通管理處罰條例), which increased penalties for failing to yield to pedestrians, pedestrian-related traffic incidents declined, it said.
Last year, a total of 17,162 pedestrians were injured or killed — 498 fewer than the previous year, while the number of fatalities also dropped slightly, from 380 to 366, it said.
However, 83 of those deaths were caused by drivers failing to give way to pedestrians, it added.
Article 44 of the Road Traffic Management and Penalty Act states that drivers who fail to yield to pedestrians and cause injury or death face fines ranging from NT$7,200 to NT$36,000. If the incident results in injury, the driver’s license is suspended for one year, and if it results in death, the license is revoked.
Penalties are determined based on the severity of the outcome: minor injury, serious injury or death.
The penalty tiers are further adjusted based on four timing categories: whether the driver pays the fine or appears in court by the deadline, within 30 days after the deadline, within 60 days, or more than 60 days overdue.
For minor injuries, fines under the four categories — currently set at NT$7,200, NT$8,000, NT$9,500 and NT$12,000 — would be raised to NT$18,000, NT$20,000, NT$24,000 and NT$30,000 respectively under the proposed amendment.
For serious injuries, the current fines of NT$18,000, NT$20,000, NT$24,000, and NT$30,000 would be raised to a uniform NT$36,000.
In cases resulting in death, the fine would remain unchanged at NT$36,000 — the maximum allowed by law.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not