Taiwan’s largest-scale annual military drills, the Han Kuang exercises, would be lengthened this year to include two weeks of computerized tabletop wargames and 10 days of live-fire drills, the nation’s armed forces announced yesterday.
The Han Kuang exercises are held annually in two stages.
This year’s 41st edition is to kick off with tabletop war games, conducted from Saturday to April 18, said Major General Tung Chi-hsing (董冀星), director of the joint operations planning division under the Ministry of National Defense.
Photo: CNA
The 14-day computer-aided wargames are reportedly the longest ever.
Last year the tabletop war games were held for eight days, while in previous versions computerized exercises usually lasted five days.
According to Tung, the computerized wargames would be conducted using the US-built Joint Theater Level Simulation platform.
Those simulations would be held around the clock for two weeks to test the ability of military personnel to coordinate and respond to a Chinese invasion, he said.
The wargames are to simulate a scenario whereby the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) unexpectedly pivots military exercises or “gray zone” activities — provocative or aggressive actions that fall just short of an open conflict — near Taiwan into a real attack, the one-star general said.
Meanwhile, the live-fire component of the Han Kuang exercises is to run from July 9 to 18, featuring personnel from all branches of the armed forces on Taiwan and its offshore islands, he said.
The 10-day live-fire exercises around the country would also be longer than earlier iterations, which previously lasted five days.
As last year, this year’s live-fire segment of the exercises would again be unscripted to test troop emergency response capabilities, with a focus on testing troop responses to decentralized command and 24/7 operational scenarios, Tung added.
The wargames and live-fire segments of the Han Kuang exercises would also include newly acquired uncrewed aerial vehicles, M1A2T tanks, M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems and Harpoon Coastal Defense Systems to test these new additions to the nation’s defensive capabilities, Tung added.
Minister of National Defense Wellington Koo (顧立雄) said last month the decision to significantly lengthen this year’s Han Kuang exercises is meant to more thoroughly test the armed forces’ “joint operation planning and execution.”
The live-fire component is to see the culmination of months-long Urban Resilience Exercises that are being held from this month to July, which combine the Wan An air raid drills and Min An disaster response drills, in 11 counties and cities around the country, Tung said.
The Urban Resilience Exercises allow central government ministries and agencies and local governments to coordinate and work together to enhance overall local resilience and response capabilities, he said.
Such efforts were launched under the Whole-of-Society Defense Resilience Committee, an advisory group established by the Presidential Office.
The committee has pledged to enhance Taiwan’s resilience by training civilian forces, securing strategic and critical supplies, reinforcing energy and key infrastructure, and ensuring the continued operation of medical, transportation, information and financial facilities.
The annual Han Kuang exercises, which have served as Taiwan’s major war games since 1984, consist of live-fire drills and computerized war games and seek to test Taiwan’s combat readiness in the face of a possible Chinese invasion.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not