Taiwan’s embassy in Tuvalu has accused China of engaging in a “disinformation” campaign to sabotage diplomatic ties with the Pacific ally after a Chinese government-funded news Web site showed clips of Tuvaluans backing a switch in allegiance to Beijing.
The embassy objected specifically to two videos of Tuvaluan people voicing pro-Beijing talking points released by China Global Television Network (CGTN), a branch of the state-run China Media Group under the Chinese Communist Party’s Central Propaganda Department.
The embassy said in a statement yesterday that although it respected freedom of speech, it could not tolerate Beijing’s disinformation.
Photo: CNA
“We firmly oppose and condemn, while also remaining highly vigilant against, China’s manipulation of disinformation to conduct cognitive warfare, aiming to undermine Taiwan-Tuvalu relations and weaken democratic values,” the embassy said.
In one of the videos released last month that the embassy objected to, titled “Tuvalu residents say Taiwan is part of China,” a woman identified only as “Mary” criticized President William Lai’s (賴清德) visit last month to the Pacific ally.
“This visit does not bring any real economic or social impact to Tuvalu. He has not proposed any concrete aid projects or funding,” Mary said in the clip.
Another resident identified only as “Thomas” was shown voicing a common Chinese refrain that according to UN Resolution 2758, “Taiwan is a part of China, which is a widely recognized international consensus.”
“Establishing diplomatic relations with China could offer real development opportunities, such as infrastructure building and enhanced climate resilience,” he said.
Another CGTN video titled “Tuvaluan student’s life inspired by Chinese culture” released this month featured a woman identified as Tuvaluan student Lilly Rose.
Rose said China has played a significant role in infrastructure projects in the Pacific and that Chinese technology has greatly helped island countries like Tuvalu to tackle climate change.
Lai visited Tuvalu last month as part of a seven-day trip that also took him to two other allies in the region, the Marshall Islands and Palau, as well as stopovers in Hawaii and Guam.
While in Tuvalu, Lai and Tuvaluan Prime Minister Feleti Teo signed a joint communique pledging to deepen bilateral ties to mark the 45th anniversary of formal diplomatic ties, which were established in 1979.
In addition to the communique, Taiwan and Tuvalu also signed a letter of intent to formalize Taiwan’s commitment to supporting the construction of a submarine cable connected to the Pacific nation.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not