Fermented bean curd products illegally imported from China pose a safety risk and people should not eat them, Deputy Minister of Health and Welfare Lin Ching-yi (林靜儀) said on Tuesday.
Lin’s warning followed reports from local media, including the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper), that posts about Chinese food called “moldy bean curd” (霉豆腐) had gone viral on Facebook in Taiwan.
However, the food product — which is mostly homemade or smuggled in from China — might pose a safety risk due to the lack of official verification of the sources of its ingredients and safety tests, the reports said.
Photo: CNA
The fermented bean curd being sold online in Taiwan is a “three noes” item, meaning that the products carry no maker’s name, no authorization mark and no approval label, Lin told reporters.
The products were clearly sold or brought into Taiwan illegally, given the lack of Ministry of Health and Welfare certification, she said.
People should not purchase “moldy bean curd” online, as the manufacturing process, including the selection and storage of soybeans and production management, is unknown, she said.
Such canned food products, if not properly sanitized, can contain potentially lethal amounts of Clostridium botulinum bacteria, she said.
People might “find it difficult to seek redress” if they become ill after consuming such food, she added.
Selling such products is against the law and people who contravene the law could face criminal penalties, Lin said.
The ministry and local governments are working together to increase inspections and seizure of such items, she said.
Yen Tzung-hai (顏宗海), director of the Clinical Poison Center at Linkou Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, said fermented bean curds are high in sodium and have a “heavy” taste.
Consuming too much can cause hypertension and cardiovascular diseases, Yen said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a