The Ministry of Digital Affairs (MODA) on Tuesday announced the upcoming launch of a Web site to report online fraud and that a NT$10 billion (US$313 million) investment plan to bolster artificial intelligence (AI) start-ups is expected to start accepting applications next year.
The anti-fraud reporting and inquiry Web site and its mobile app version are undergoing internal testing, while the ministry is coordinating with other government agencies to streamline administrative procedures, Minister of Digital Affairs Huang Yen-nun (黃彥男) said.
“Once the testing is complete and we receive approval from the Executive Yuan, we will make the system publicly available,” Huang said.
Photo: Tien Yu-hua, Taipei Times
In addition to accepting reports from the public, the Web site would use information obtained through an AI-powered fraud-scanning service provided by the National Institute of Cyber Security, Deputy Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-jing (林宜敬) said.
The ministry would also use AI to assign the reported cases for verification with authorities, Lin said.
For confirmed fraud, the ministry would notify platforms such as Google, Facebook, Line and Instagram to remove the fraudulent content, he added.
Lin did not provide a specific date for the Web site’s launch, but said that the ministry is being careful to ensure it is thoroughly tested for security and to ensure smooth operations before rolling it out publicly.
The ministry wants the public to be able to quickly determine whether a piece of information is potentially fraudulent, or is already a confirmed scam, Lin said.
The site aims to expedite the case assignment process for dealing with fraud, as previously it could take several days for different government agencies to manually process documents to confirm whether a piece of information was suspicious or fraudulent, he said.
The Web site and app are currently in Chinese only, and further discussions are needed to determine whether interfaces in other languages would be developed, the ministry said.
Meanwhile, the growth and success of Taiwan’s digital economy would depend heavily on AI, Huang said.
“As one of the significant limitations in AI development is funding, we hope to provide those start-ups with sufficient resources to support their growth,” he said.
The management committee of the National Development Council on Aug. 9 approved the investment enhancement implementation plan for AI start-ups with an allocation of NT$10 billion over a 10-year period, he said.
MODA has initiated preparatory work for the investment plan, including holding discussions on operational regulations and the establishment of an office, with the goal of formally accepting investment applications next year, he said.
Administration for Digital Industries Deputy Director-General Lin Jiunn-shiow (林俊秀) said that the scope of investment includes domestic AI start-ups and companies related to the digital economy, covering areas such as discriminative AI, based on supervised learning, and generative AI, systems that can generate new content.
The investments would primarily focus on Taiwanese companies, including those founded by foreign nationals, while funded projects have the potential to receive approval for overseas conversion, such as by establishing operations abroad to meet the company’s internationalization needs, he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as