A social worker was indicted yesterday on charges of negligent homicide and forgery following the death of a one-year-old in December last year.
The suspect, identified only by her surname, Chen (陳), has been released on bail of NT$300,000.
She has denied the charges, prosecutors said.
Photo: Taipei Times
Chen worked at the Child Welfare League Foundation, which in August last year enlisted two sisters, surnamed Liu (劉), to care for the boy.
The sisters were indicted in April on charges of child abuse resulting in death, intentional deprivation of liberty resulting in death and intentional injury resulting in death from their time in charge of the boy from Sept. 1 to Dec. 23 last year.
The infant lost consciousness in the early hours of Dec. 24 last year after sustaining serious injuries and was pronounced dead after being taken to a hospital.
The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office said that Chen fabricated reports of visiting the boy while he was with the Liu sisters and on three occasions between Dec. 31 last year and April 18 tampered with records after the boy’s death.
Chen contravened the Protection of Children and Youths Welfare and Rights Act (兒童及少年福利與權益保障法), as well as with procedures for reporting, investigating and handling child protection cases, the office said.
Social workers are required to report improper care within 24 hours.
Chen also failed to adhere to Child Welfare League Foundation and Ministry of Health and Welfare guidelines that stipulate social workers must visit children in their care under six years old at least twice a month for the first six months that they are with caregiver, without informing the carer in advance, the office said.
Chen ignored signs of abuse, including bruises and hair loss, following visits on Sept. 25 and Oct. 23, and failed to investigate, increase the number of visits or report the situation, prosecutors said, adding that instead she accepted excuses given by the Liu sisters.
Prosecutors called for a severe punishment for Chen, who they said showed no remorse over the infant’s death.
Four relatives of the Liu sisters are being investigated for suspected perjury and destruction of evidence, prosecutors said.
On one occasion, Chen sent photographs of the infant to the boy’s grandmother, but downplayed visible injuries, weight loss and emotional distress, instead repeating the Liu sisters’ excuses that the bruises were from an accident and that changes in the weather had caused a loss of appetite, prosecutors said.
After learning that the boy lost three teeth overnight on Nov. 19, Chen visited the infant for a third time the following day and noticed severe changes in his condition, prosecutors said.
Nonetheless, she again failed to report the boy’s condition, they said.
Chen also made misleading statements, prosecutors said.
On Dec. 24 last year — the day the boy died — Chen lied to hospital staff, saying that the main caregiver was the boy’s grandmother and suggesting that his death might have been due to choking, prosecutors said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as