The Taipei High Administrative Court on Thursday blocked a bid by a transgender woman to change her legal gender without an official diagnosis of gender dysphoria.
The court said the ruling against the plaintiff, identified as “Vivi,” was in line with previous Supreme Administrative Court opinions regarding changes to ID cards.
However, the court also ordered the plaintiff’s Household Registration Office to reconsider her application to change her gender on her ID card, arguing that a 2008 Ministry of the Interior directive cited by officials for the rejection was unconstitutional.
Photo courtesy of the Taiwan Alliance to Promote Civil Partnership Rights via CNA
The Taiwan Alliance to Promote Civil Partnership Rights, which provided pro bono support for Vivi, said that while not unexpected, the ruling presented uplifting as well as disappointing aspects.
On the one hand, the ruling reaffirmed that judicial agencies believe a requirement for gender-affirming surgery is unnecessary and reduced the required medical documentation to a single diagnosis of gender dysphoria, said Victoria Hsu (許秀雯), an attorney and cofounder of the alliance.
On the other hand, the court still insisted on framing gender identification in medical terms with the need for a doctor’s endorsement, Hsu added.
A news release by the alliance said that Vivi was calm when she heard about the ruling, although she expressed discomfort that the court still saw gender identification as a “diagnosis.”
Vivi said that unlike previous cases, she had purposefully not sought a medical diagnosis of gender dysphoria when she applied to change her ID card.
Instead, she sought to prove that “social evidence” — such as letters from her mother and friends, photographs of her daily life and counseling records — was sufficient to legally change gender, she said.
At oral arguments last month, Vivi said she hoped to present diversity within the transgender community with her test case.
The alliance has argued that medical diagnoses should no longer be a requirement for changing one’s legal gender, with the WHO officially depathologizing being transgender in 2022.
Alliance president Neil Pan (潘天慶), an attorney, interpreted the Supreme Administrative Court’s opinion differently from the High Administrative Court, saying that it centered on “stable gender identity” as well as “proportionality” for requirements on ID change.
Vivi applied to change the gender on her ID card in April last year.
When her application was rejected and her administrative appeal against the rejection denied, she took the matter to court with the help of the alliance.
Currently, household registration agencies follow a 2008 Ministry of the Interior directive requiring applicants seeking to change their ID to provide proof that they have undergone gender-affirming surgery, as well as two separate diagnoses of gender dysphoria.
In the past few years, several people who had not undergone surgery had challenged and won against the administrative agencies.
However, in all these cases, they were still required to present two separate diagnoses of gender dysphoria.
Vivi and the alliance wanted to push the cause further and open up more possibilities for transgender people to receive official recognition through her case.
The alliance said it would appeal the ruling and keep fighting for social evidence to be accepted as grounds for changing one’s legal gender.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as