Ten people have been indicted and are being detained for allegedly smuggling cannabis into Taiwan from a tanker vessel, the Ciaotou District Prosecutors’ Office said yesterday.
The suspects allegedly smuggled cannabis off southwestern Taiwan in December last year and have been detained with the approval of a local court, the office said in a statement.
The prosecutors said they had been investigating and monitoring suspicious activities for three months before directing the Coast Guard Administration to board a Tainan-registered commercial raft in waters off the northwestern coast of Kaohsiung on Dec. 10.
Photo: Wu Cheng-feng, Taipei Times
Coast guards seized four packages of cannabis weighing 221.7kg, the statement said.
The next day, unoccupied lifeboats with tow ropes were found floating in the same waters carrying 20 similar bags of cannabis weighing 1,159.3kg, it said.
Prosecutors determined that a foreign oil tanker in waters to the southwest was at the center of the drug trafficking activities, and dispatched the coast guard to intercept, board and inspect the vessel, it said.
Three Taiwanese and seven Burmese crew members were taken into custody on suspicion of drug trafficking, it said.
Prosecutors said the suspects had brought the cannabis to waters off the southwestern coast where they waited for instructions to toss the packages overboard.
They then retrieved the packages with rafts to smuggle them into Taiwan, the statement said.
The seized cannabis had a market value of more than NT$3.5 billion (US$107.77 million), the statement said.
In other news, the Yunlin District Prosecutors’ Office on Tuesday indicted a former National Communications Commission (NCC) member in connection with his work for a telecom accused of fraud.
Hsiao Chi-hung (蕭祈宏), who left the NCC in 2022, was indicted for contravening revolving door prohibitions in the Public Functionary Service Act (公務員服務法) by working as a consultant for Tel25 Corp, the office said.
Hsiao was previously questioned and released on NT$500,000 bail after prosecutors indicted Tel25’s owner, surnamed Chen (陳), and 21 others in January on charges including money laundering and aggravated fraud.
Prosecutors allege that Tel25 used its business activities as a cover to collect personal data on Taiwanese and foreign nationals to use in false know-your-customer authorizations.
It then used that information to sell prepaid SIM cards with international roaming and Internet services — which are favored by fraud rings because they are difficult to track — earning more than NT$600 million in illegal profits over three years, prosecutors said.
The NCC said in a news release that it was “shocked and disappointed” by the accusations against Hsiao, but would cooperate fully with prosecutors.
To help combat fraud, the commission said it has worked with telecoms to block 8.24 million text messages, 18.84 million international calls to Taiwan and disconnected 1,566 telephone numbers between March last year and February.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as