Fruit, flowers and incense paper were laid on a table yesterday, as authorities prepared a ceremony before demolishing a precariously tilting building that has become a symbol of Taiwan’s biggest quake in 25 years.
The glass-fronted Uranus building in Hualien is a 10-story mix of shops and apartments that has stood for about 40 years.
Wednesday’s earthquake, which Taiwan’s earthquake monitoring center measured at magnitude 7.2, while the US Geological Service put it at 7.4, caused it to tilt at a 45-degree angle, its twisted exterior becoming one of the most recognizable images to emerge from the disaster.
Photo: Chiang Ying-ying, AP
By yesterday, authorities said they would start taking it apart, first preparing a table of offerings in front of the building to ensure a smooth demolition and to “soothe the lost souls” of those killed in the quake.
Chips, instant noodles, bottles of soda and folded piles of paper money for the dead were set alongside baskets of flowers and a container holding incense sticks.
“[We] offer sacrifices and pray for blessing for the demolition work of the Uranus building,” an announcer said over a loudspeaker.
Photo: Chiang Ying-ying, AP
Traditional cultural rites like blessing a new home or providing offerings to spirits after buying land are commonplace in Taiwan.
Hualien County Commissioner Hsu Chen-wei (徐榛蔚) and other officials wearing construction vests each lit a joss stick and bowed to the building.
“The Uranus was built in 1986. All structures age due to time, earthquakes and many other conditions,” she told reporters.
Photo: Tyrone Siu, REUTERS
“We hope to complete the demolition within two weeks so Hualien people can return to their regular lives,” Hsu said.
Workers then began using a pink crane to smash the glass windows covering the building’s exterior, revealing the inner brick facade as rain started to drizzle.
By about 1pm, a severe aftershock hit the city, alarming the construction team as the building appeared to lean more perilously forward.
Accelerating the process, workers began inserting giant metal bars to stabilize the structure.
Inside an exposed upper-story floor, a piano could be seen lying on its side, surrounded by debris from an apartment damaged by the massive tremor.
So far, at least 12 people are known to have died from the quake, with more than 1,100 injured, although authorities have not specified the severity of the injuries.
Hundreds remain stranded around Taroko National Park, some in a hostel, others in a luxury hotel, on local hiking trails and a school cut off by landslides.
A network of tunnels traverses the region, with key roads leading to the park now blocked by falling rocks. Rescue teams have been mobilized from all over Taiwan to look for those still missing.
“Rescuers are not giving up, as the search continues in the mountains for earthquake survivors,” vice president-elect Hsiao Bi-khim (蕭美琴) said, calling them the “true heroes of a resilient Taiwan.”
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a