The High Court yesterday rejected a request from a Japanese restaurant in Taipei that would ban the Michelin guide from secretly sending food critics and reviewing or recommending the food served there.
The lawsuit, which was filed by the restaurant Isosei (磯勢), was the second case in which the judicial system sided with the French publisher. In 2022, the Taipei District Court and the High Court ruled against Wokhei (鍋氣), a Cantonese restaurant in Taipei, which also petitioned the courts to bar the Michelin guide from sending food critics to eat and review the food.
Isosei argued that the lawsuit was filed to protect the restaurant’s reputation as well as freedom of doing business.
Photo: Yang Kuo-wen, Taipei Times
“Our philosophy in managing the restaurant is to give our chefs complete freedom to create dishes, rather than being restricted by so-called authoritative evaluation methods and criteria,” the restaurant said. “We do not agree that restaurants should be evaluated by dispatching ‘mystery shoppers’ and using only one set of criteria.”
Michelin argued that it has built its credibility in the global gastronomic community through strict and truthful evaluations, adding that it cannot possibly maintain the integrity of the evaluations by not dispatching food critics or revealing their identities ahead of time. Food critics dine at restaurants anonymously because they want to personally taste the food and experience the service, and they have the freedom to comment on the food they eat, it said.
Isosei appealed to the High Court after the Taipei District Court ruled in favor of Michelin. During the second trial the restaurant added its head chef as a new plaintiff, who petitioned to have the freedom to not serve food critics sent by Michelin.
The court upheld the district court’s decision, saying that the content published by the Michelin guide is open to criticism. The ways the guide evaluates food around the globe and recommends restaurants make it a reference book for consumers, it said, adding that the guide serves both the commercial and public interest.
“Isosei provides services to unspecified people in an open market. A contract between the restaurant and its consumers becomes binding as soon as consumers order its food and agree to pay the price at which it is offered. Identities of the consumers are not important details of the contract, nor are they obligated to reveal their identities and dining purposes,” the court said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not