A woman who in 2021 set fire to a Kaohsiung building in which 46 people died and 41 were injured was handed a life sentence by the Supreme Court on Thursday.
The verdict is final and cannot be appealed.
The court declared the ruling from a lower court in August last year “error-free,” in which Huang Ke-ke (黃格格) was found guilty of homicide and arson, and sentenced to life imprisonment and disenfranchisement for life.
Photo: Taipei Times file
The Supreme Court agreed that Huang deliberately left burning residue from mosquito repellent incense on a sofa in her boyfriend’s apartment in the Cheng Chung Cheng (城中城) building on Oct. 14, 2021, with the incense later sparking a fire that spread through the building.
The first trial at the Kaohsiung District Court in 2022 found the woman guilty of arson and manslaughter. She was sentenced to life imprisonment and disenfranchisement for life for the first crime, which was considered more severe.
However, the Kaohsiung branch of the High Court overruled the manslaughter verdict a year later, arguing that there was sufficient evidence of Huang’s intent to cause harm.
However, the High Court upheld the life sentence, stating that the crime did not meet the threshold of the “most serious crimes” under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.
Prosecutors appealed again, saying that Huang’s crime is “no less than a merciless terrorist attack,” and she should receive the death penalty.
The Supreme Court’s ruling on Thursday reaffirmed the life sentence, emphasizing that while Huang might have anticipated some risks from her actions, the severity of the outcome likely exceeded her expectations, distinguishing her crime from willfully cruel murders.
Moreover, the inadequate management of the aging building and negligence from authorities should also be considered as contributing factors to the fatalities, the court said in a news release.
The fire in Yancheng District (鹽埕) was the second-deadliest building fire in Taiwan, after a blaze at the Weierkang Club in Taichung that killed 64 people in February 1995.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as