The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday fined Homeplus Digital NT$14.4 million (US$459,403) for failure to turn over material to a probe into the company’s sale of shares to SET TV.
The fine comprises a NT$1.2 million penalty on each of the operator’s 12 network systems, the NCC said.
In September last year, New Power Party legislators Chen Jiau-hua (陳椒華), Chiu Hsien-chih (邱顯智) and Claire Wang (王婉諭), its chairwoman, said that the deal inked by Homeplus and SET TV contravened NCC regulations.
Photo: Ting Yi, Taipei Times
The deal, which breached a pledge by Homeplus to bar investors from exercising direct control over content on news channels, gave SET TV a 27 percent stake in the multi-system operator, the lawmakers said.
Two months later, the NCC said that the corporations had skirted trade regulations governing broadcasters, but did not impose any penalties, prompting criticism from lawmakers across the political divide.
The NCC yesterday said that the ruling last year was a fact-finding exercise and that Homeplus had been fined for not complying with an investigation as stipulated by Article 72 of the Cable Radio and Television Act (有線廣播電視法).
Hong Shun Group, which manages Homeplus, must sell the stock to an alternative buyer by May 31 and obtain NCC authorization by Aug. 31, it said.
Failure to comply would result in a penalty of NT$5,000 to NT$300,000 that could be repeated until the stock is sold, NCC Vice Chairman and spokesman Wong Po-tsung (翁柏宗) said.
Additionally, Hong Shun was ordered to declare its corporate structure and the identity of the investment group’s owner, he said.
With regard to SET TV, NCC Chief Secretary Huang Wen-che (黃文哲) said that the commission would open a separate inquiry into the TV network for possible regulatory breaches.
The second probe’s findings would inform the NCC’s handling of SET TV’s licensing applications and evaluations, Huang said.
In a dissenting opinion, NCC commissioners Lin Lih-yun (林麗雲) and Wang Wei-ching (王維菁) said that SET TV had on multiple occasions withheld information from regulators in a bid to conceal its monopolistic activities.
The NCC should revisit its decisions regarding channel assignments and license renewals of SET TV-owned channels in light of new evidence regarding its actions, Lin and Wang said.
Laws governing television broadcasters should be amended to empower the NCC to stop monopolistic acquisitions from occurring instead of relying on case-by-case pledges, they said, adding that penalties should be increased.
Separately, the NCC warned Mirror TV over an election commentary program it aired without regulatory approval in contravention of articles 15 and 61 of the Satellite Broadcasting Act (衛星廣播電視法).
Mirror TV’s unauthorized program, which took a slot reserved for news reports, was a political talk show by pundits that did not qualify as news, the NCC said.
Further infractions by the channel would result in a fine of NT$100,000 to NT$1 million, it said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as