There would be a “chilling effect” on freedom of expression caused by China’s detention of Taiwan-based publisher Li Yanhe (李延賀), people from the publishing, academia and arts sectors said yesterday.
Former minister of culture Cheng Li-chiun (鄭麗君) and former National Palace Museum director Wu Mi-cha (吳密察) were among about 350 people who signed a statement calling on Beijing to “ensure the rights [of Li] according to Chinese law.”
Li, the editor-in-chief of Gusa Press, is being investigated by Chinese state security officials for “suspected activities endangering national security,” China’s Taiwan Affairs Office (TAO) said on April 26.
Photo: George Tsorng, Taipei Times
The signatories said that Li’s detention and the subsequent investigation would have a “chilling effect” on Taiwan’s publishing sector and “damage normal cultural exchanges across the Taiwan Strait.”
They urged Beijing to announce the results of the investigation into Li “as soon as possible.”
Following Li’s detention, TAO spokeswoman Zhu Fenglian (朱鳳蓮) said that his legal rights would be protected in accordance with the law.
However, the TAO has so far not provided further details about the state of Li’s health and his whereabouts.
Li was reportedly arrested by police in Shanghai in late March, shortly after he arrived in China to visit his family and deal with residency-related issues.
At a news conference in Taipei yesterday, Wang Chia-hsuan (王家軒), a former editor at Gusa Press, said that the detention of Li on national security grounds had caused many working in the publishing and cultural sectors in Taiwan to begin warning each other against traveling to China.
Chang Cheng (張正), the founder of New Taipei City-based Brilliant Time Bookstore, said that while they fully respected the wishes of Li’s family to keep the incident low-key, there was a need for people to voice their concern.
“We think the cultural, media and academic circles can no longer feign ignorance” over Li’s circumstances, Chang said.
Others who also signed the statement included Rex How (郝明義), founder and chairman of Locus Publishing Co; Kuo Chung-hsing (郭重興), founder of the Book Republic Publishing Group; Chien Chi-chong (簡志忠), founder of the Eurasian Publishing Group; and Jan Hung-tze (詹宏志), founder and publisher of Business Next Media Corp.
They were joined by award-winning writers Li Ang (李昂), Ping Lu (平路) and Wu Ming-yi (吳明益), as well as filmmakers Wang Shau-di (王小棣) and Ko I-chen (柯一正).
In an article read aloud by Wang Chia-hsuan, Jan, who is also chairman of online shopping platform PChome, said it would be “violent, ridiculous and out of date” for the Chinese government to convince itself that books published by Li Yanhe’s publishing house in Taiwan would endanger the national security of China.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and