The Kaohsiung branch of the High Court yesterday ruled that state compensation should be paid for the accidental death of a Chinese tourist, as citizens of the People’s Republic of China are regarded as Republic of China (ROC) nationals under the law.
The Kaohsiung City Government should pay NT$4.63 million (US$152,283) to the family of the man, surnamed Qian (錢), the court said.
The ruling can be appealed.
Photo: Pao Chien-hsin, Taipei Times
Qian was electrocuted to death by a malfunctioning street light while cycling in Kaohsiung’s Lujhu District (路竹) during a round-the-island biking tour in August 2018 — a fact that the city government does not dispute.
The family sued the city for wrongful death and demanded NT$11.65 million in compensation for pain and suffering, loss of income, funeral costs and other expenses.
Foreign nationals can receive reparations for government negligence resulting in death or injury if a reciprocal arrangement exists between Taiwan and their country of origin, the branch’s first civil court president Ning Hsin (甯馨) said, citing the State Compensation Act (國家賠償法).
The claims made by the deceased’s family would have been rejected, as there is no reciprocal agreement between the Taiwanese and Chinese governments, but the laws accord a special legal status to the latter, she said, referring to the Act Governing Relations Between the People of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area (臺灣地區與大陸地區人民關係條例).
The court requested clarification about the State Compensation Act in reference to the Qian case from the Ministry of Justice and the Mainland Affairs Council, which issued an official statement saying Chinese citizens are deemed ROC nationals under the law, Ning said.
As such, the court ruled in favor of Qian’s family in accordance with the State Compensation Act, she said.
The Kaohsiung City Government expressed regret over the court’s ruling and said officials would mull its next step after receiving the verdict.
The Kaohsiung Legal Affairs Bureau said it had appealed the first trial’s favorable verdict for Qian’s family on the grounds that, as the deceased was not Taiwanese, the state compensation law did not apply.
The bureau respects the court’s decision and would discuss the matter with the Kaohsiung Public Works Bureau, it said.
The Ministry of Justice said its clarification for the court was made according to the Council of Grand Justices’ Decision No. 16337 1993, which allows state compensation claims to be made for wrongful death or injury of people from China.
The ministry has proposed amendments to the State Compensation Act to allow reparation claims to be made for all victims of government negligence regardless of nationality, as placing preconditions on such claims runs counter to international law, it said.
The Executive Yuan approved the draft act in September 2021, but lawmakers have yet to pass the bill, the ministry said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not