The government should proceed with its plan to lengthen mandatory military service from four months to one year, regardless of the Democratic Progressive Party’s (DPP) losses in the local elections on Saturday, a defense expert said on Wednesday.
As China has made strides in bolstering its offensive capabilities, Taiwanese armed forces face a demographic shift that is undermining recruitment efforts necessary to sustain a volunteer military, Institute of National Defense and Security Research analyst Su Tzu-yun (蘇紫雲) said.
The DPP’s stance on conscription was not a significant factor in its electoral performance, Su said, citing surveys that showed 65 percent of Taiwanese support a reverting to a one-year military draft, he said.
Photo: Ann Wang, Reuters
Military conscription affects Taiwan’s security and survival, and was too important a matter to be politicized in the local elections, Su said.
Taiwan’s armed forces recruited an average of 14,000 volunteer soldiers per year from 2016 to last year, he said, adding that the nation had 110,000 military-aged men in 2016.
Census data show that the number of Taiwanese military-aged men could fall to about 74,000 people by 2025, which would lower enlistments to about 9,000 soldiers per year, he said.
These enlistments would not be enough to sustain a volunteer force, he added.
Modern warfare technology could make up for of some loss of reservists, some experts have said, but human skill and courage are more often the decisive factor in battle, Su said.
The Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s emphasis on ambitious warfare through joint air, sea and land operations poses a steep challenge for Taiwanese forces, as defeating such an attack would likely require a resilient citizen army, he said.
Utilizing conscripts to meet the requirements of nontechnical branches of the military could bolster Taiwan’s ability to counter a Chinese assault, he added.
Minister of National Defense Chiu Kuo-cheng (邱國正) told lawmakers in October that four months of military service is not enough to instill basic combat skills.
He suggested that the Ministry of National Defense invoke Articles 16 and 34 of the Military Service System Act (兵役法), which enable the ministry to lengthen mandatory military service without making legislative changes.
The ministry has made the logistical, organizational and human resources plans necessary to implement a longer draft, an official familiar with the matter said on condition of anonymity on Wednesday.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a