The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported 11,888 new local COVID-19 cases, the lowest daily caseload since late April, adding that weekly new cases have also declined for six consecutive weeks.
Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩) said that daily local cases declined by 28 percent from Monday last week, to the lowest number since April 28.
Deputy Minister of Health and Welfare Victor Wang (王必勝), who heads the center, said 128,420 new local cases were reported last week, a decline by 16.33 percent compared with the week before, and case numbers have dropped for six consecutive weeks.
Photo: Copied by Ge Yu-hao, Taipei Times
CDC Deputy Director-General Philip Lo (羅一鈞) said the 41 newly confirmed deaths include 39 people who had chronic illnesses and 22 people who did not get a vaccine booster.
Lo said 102 virus samples — from 81 local and 21 imported cases — were sequenced last week, and 98.8 percent of the local cases were caused by the Omicron BA.5 subvariant of SARS-CoV-2, while only one case had the BA.2 subvariant.
Of the imported cases, 10 people had BA.5, nine had BA.2.75 and one of each had the XBB and BQ.1 subvariants, he said, adding that the imported cases of BA.2.75 have increased from 6 percent to 28 percent, and to 43 percent in the past three weeks, and would likely replace BA.5 to become the dominant strain.
However, Lo said BA.2.75 does not have stronger immune escape ability than the XBB or BQ subvariants, so it has not replaced BA.5 as the dominant strain in many countries, although XBB has become the dominant strain circulating in Singapore.
Meanwhile, Minister of Health and Welfare Hsueh Jui-yuan (薛瑞元) on Sunday said the CECC had blocked many fraudulent brokers of COVID-19 vaccines last year, which led to opposition parties demanding that Wang name the brokers and question if they included a renowned religious group.
Wang yesterday said Fo Guang Shan’s (佛光山) affiliated Buddha’s Light International Association ROC on May 27 last year proposed donating Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen COVID-19 vaccines to the nation, albeit without relevant documents.
Association members visited the CECC on June 1 to discuss the matter, but Johnson & Johnson on June 2 last year said it would only negotiate with governments regarding its vaccine sales.
The association on June 7 last year informed the CECC that it had learned the government had contacted Johnson & Johnson about purchasing vaccines, and said if a deal were to be made it would support the purchase through a donation of 200,000 to 500,000 doses, he said.
However, Johnson & Johnson was only able to promise delivery for this year, so the donation was unsuccessful, but Wang said the center was grateful for the association’s enthusiastic offer.
The CECC is thankful to the individuals and organizations that tried to help secure vaccines, Wang said.
However, he said it was the center’s duty to ensure the purchase of “authentic vaccines,” and that they “are really able to receive them,” so it has asked people to provide documents including the delivery schedule, quantity and authorized distributor certificate from the vaccine company, he said.
If requirements are met, the center would assist them in negotiations, Wang added.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as