The National Health Insurance (NHI) rate would remain at 5.17 percent next year after the government secured additional funding for the state-run health insurance system, the National Health Insurance Administration (NHIA) said yesterday.
“The Directorate-General of Budget, Accounting and Statistics is to pump NT$24 billion [US$770.27 million] into the NHI system,” NHIA Director-General Lee Po-chang (李伯璋) told reporters at a news conference.
“An adjustment to the basic wage would increase NHI revenue by NT$5.6 billion,” he said.
“Following careful calculation, we found that the additional funding would lead to a health insurance security reserve next year that would sustain the system for more than a month, so health insurance rates would remain unchanged,” Lee said.
Despite the government freezing the rate hike, co-payments for some medical services would be adjusted to ensure the sustainability of the NHI, he said.
“This would help reduce unnecessary medical expenses and allow cancer patients and others who need new medication to be covered by the NHI,” he said.
Co-payments for emergency room services, as well as medication, tests and outpatient exams are expected to rise, Lee said.
“We hope to implement the new policy as soon as possible to mitigate waste of medical resources,” he said.
“When the policy takes effect would depend on the COVID-19 situation,” he said, adding that the government would continue to offer medical subsidies for people who are economically disadvantaged.
Minister of Health and Welfare Hsueh Jui-yuan (薛瑞元) last month said that co-payments would rise this year or at the start of next year.
The ministry originally planned to begin increasing co-payments for several medical services on May 15, but then-minister of health and welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) on May 10 announced that the planned increases would be postponed, citing the increase in workload for healthcare providers and the financial burden on patients.
The Executive Yuan following a meeting on Sept. 21 approved a budget increase of 1.307 percent to 4.5 percent for the NHI.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as