Taipei city councilors yesterday asked Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) and former deputy mayor Vivian Huang (黃珊珊) to apologize to city residents for spending up to NT$106 million (US$3.3 million) on this year’s Taipei Expo, while avoiding a city council review.
The Taipei City Government held the event at the Taipei Expo Park from Aug. 27 to Sept. 11.
City councilors in August criticized the Ko administration for using the city’s second reserve fund — about NT$29.6 million from last year and about NT$49 million from this year — to host the event, seemingly to avoid a requirement that an expenditure of NT$50 million or more be approved by the city council.
Photo: CNA
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Taipei City Councilor Wu Pei-yi (吳沛憶) on Sunday wrote on Facebook that a Taipei Department of Government Ethics report revealed that in addition to tapping into the second reserve fund, the city government used about NT$12.62 million from 15 city departments on the expo.
Wu, along with DPP Legislator Rosalia Wu (吳思瑤) and Taipei City Councilor Chien Shu-pei (簡舒培), yesterday told a news conference in Taipei that Ko’s administration has poor financial discipline, and questioned whether Huang had ordered city departments to organize the expo.
About 105,000 people attended the 12-day event, which was originally to cost about NT$86.1 million, but a city councilor later discovered that the true budget was hidden among the operational budgets of departments and the total cost was as much as NT$169.4 million, Rosalia Wu said.
This year’s Keelung City Expo cost NT$40 million and attracted more than 1 million attendees over 10 days, she said, adding that the Keelung City Government had proposed the budget in the previous year and it passed a city council review.
Wu Pei-yi said the Department of Government Ethics’ report showed that money for the Taipei Expo came from the city’s first and second reserve funds, the annual operational budgets of 15 departments and a special budget to build a new MRT line.
At the news conference, Chien showed a photograph of a note allegedly written by Huang on Oct. 4 last year, instructing a department to use NT$9 million from the city’s second reserve fund for the expo at the direction of the mayor.
Chien asked why Huang skipped the budget allocation review.
She also called the expo a “graduation ceremony” for Ko and a “red carpet” for Huang, who in late August resigned as deputy mayor to run for Taipei mayor as an independent candidate, with Ko’s endorsement.
Huang yesterday said that she wrote the note, but that the instructions were based on prior discussions and made at the direction of Ko.
Formal documents were signed afterward, so the procedure could stand up to scrutiny by the National Audit Office, she added.
The second reserve fund was used because the expo was based on a new city plan formulated after the annual operational budget was allocated, she said.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator and Taipei mayoral candidate Chiang Wan-an (蔣萬安) said that city expos should enhance residents’ sense of identity and pride, but Ko’s administration rushed the event, without comprehensive planning, and held it for the sake of hosting it, as if lighting a firework.
He urged Ko and Huang to respond to questions about moving money from the budgets of city departments for the expo.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a