Buddhist monk Chang Kuan delivers a sermon to an empty room, his words livestreamed to followers praying at home as Taiwan’s faithful learn to cut back on mass gatherings during COVID-19 pandemic.
Taiwan has been widely praised for its proactive response to the outbreak, and religious communities have moved fast to limit mass gatherings.
Four of the island’s biggest Buddhist organizations dropped traditional prayer meetings and told people to follow the worship online instead.
Popular pilgrimages have been scrapped and some churches have either shut their doors or are ensuring congregants remain at least a meter apart.
Guo Huei (果暉), Abbot President of Dharma Drum Mountain (DDM), one of the organizations that has embraced livestreaming, said Taiwan’s previous experience with the SARS outbreak in 2003 taught it to take the new coronavirus seriously.
“We called an emergency meeting of senior monks after we heard that Wuhan was under a lockdown,” he said.
The temple stopped all on-site worship immediately and urged practioners to stay home.
“Doing meditation and praying at home is the same as here,” Guo said, referring to the sprawling temple complex he oversees perched half way up a mountain on the outskirts of Taipei.
“We can’t have tens or hundreds of people together because it’s very risky,” he added.
Julian Lin and his wife usually attend DDM’s lecture each week, but they said they understood the need to stay away from crowds.
“Online meditation and teaching sessions may be convenient, but the atmosphere is still not the same,” Lin said from his home where the lecture was being broadcast on a laptop.
Public health experts battling the global pandemic have warned of the risks posed by large religious ceremonies in spreading infection.
The most dramatic example is South Korea where more than half of the country’s 8,200 COVID-19 cases have been linked to the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, an opaque religious sect often condemned as a cult.
One of its members attended at least four services in the southern city of Daegu — which became the center of the country’s epidemic — before being diagnosed.
In Iran, authorities placed restrictions on holy sites in response to concerns about the virus spreading in Qom, the center of the country’s outbreak and a place of pilgrimage for thousands of people.
Governments across Southeast Asia are now searching for thousands of Muslim missionaries who attended prayers at a mosque outside the Malaysian capital last month that have been linked to a surge in coronavirus cases in the region.
After SARS killed 84 people in Taiwan in 2003 — the third-highest toll after Hong Kong and China — Taiwan vowed to be ready for the next pandemic, setting up a dedicated command center for future outbreaks.
The center went operational on Jan. 20, before China had even locked down the city of Wuhan where the virus first emerged, and it coordinates the nation’s response.
On advice from the center, three large pilgrimages to the popular goddess Matsu that attracts more than a million people were postponed indefinitely.
Many of Taiwan’s large Catholic churches have also suspended Sunday Mass.
At St Christopher’s Church in Taipei, which is popular with Filipino migrant workers, devotees have been arriving to a sign with the words: “Closed for pastoral and social purposes indefinitely.”
Maria Carmen Scorpion, a Filipino care worker who was lighting a candle at a shrine outside the church, said she had not missed mass in the past 14 years.
“I was surprised, but we understand this is good for us also, for ourselves to avoid being infected by the coronavirus,” she said.
Father Otfried Chan (陳科) of the Chinese Regional Bishops’ Conference in Taiwan said that each parish should decide whether to cancel gatherings or mitigate risks with temperature checks and social distancing.
“We should err on the side of caution,” he said. “If there is one confirmed case in the church, that would be a big burden on the country.”
At the Immaculate Conception Cathedral in downtown Taipei, the doors were open for worshippers on a recent Sunday. Those entering rubbed their hands with sanitizer, had their temperature taken and were told to sit at least a meter apart during the service.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not