Nearly 70 percent of Taiwanese support the Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office’s decision to reopen a case and indict former president Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) on allegations of financial irregularities arising from the sale of Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT)-owned media outlets, a poll by the Taiwan NextGen Foundation showed yesterday.
The survey found that 67.7 percent of respondents supported the probe, while 23.4 percent opposed it, foundation director Wang Chih-sheng (王智盛) said.
According to the poll, 49.3 percent of respondents think Ma is guilty, while 39.3 percent believe in his innocence, Wang said. “However, the result is heavily influenced by people’s political affiliations, as a majority of those who think that Ma is guilty said they identify with the pan-green camp, and most of those who believe in his innocence are pan-blue camp supporters.”
Photo: Huang Yao-cheng, Taipei Times
During Ma’s first term as KMT chairman from 2005 to 2007, the party sold three media outlets — Central Motion Picture Corp, China Television Co and Broadcasting Corp of China.
The sales followed amendments to the Radio and Television Act (廣播電視法) in 2005 that barred political parties, the military and politicians from owning media outlets.
However, party insiders have said that financial irregularities and illicit transactions took place during the sales to benefit certain individuals.
The now-defunct Special Investigation Division of the Supreme Prosecutors’ Office in 2014 probed the allegations and closed the case, citing an inconclusive result, but Taipei prosecutors last year reopened the probe, saying there were “unanswered questions.”
Regarding the division’s decision to drop the case, 47.1 percent of respondents agreed with the statement that “the decision was made due to behind-the-scenes political interference,” while 32.6 percent disagreed with it, Wang said.
When asked if they would support Ma if he ran for president in 2020 on a KMT ticket, 63.8 percent said they would not support him, while 26.8 percent said they would.
The survey showed that a high percentage of people believe that Ma politically pressured the division into dropping the case, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Taipei City Councilor Wang Wei-chung (王威中) said, adding that the percentage is especially high among people aged 20 to 29.
The survey collected 1,074 valid samples and has a margin of error of 2.99 percentage points.
The foundation was established by DPP Legislator and Electoral Strategy Committee co-convener Chen Ming-Wen (陳明文) in June 2016.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as