To encourage older people to rejoin the workforce, the Ministry of Labor yesterday issued a draft act banning age discrimination in the workplace, under which employers who are found guilty could be fined NT$300,000 to NT$1.6 million (US$9,823 to US$52,387).
According to government statistics, Taiwan is categorized as an aged society, with one in every seven people being an elderly person.
Taiwan’s working population — those aged 15 to 64 — has been steadily decreasing, from 17.368 million in 2015 to 17.211 million last year, the ministry said, adding that there are fewer middle-aged and older people in the labor force than in Japan, South Korea and the US.
Photo courtesy of the Taichung City Government Labor Affairs Bureau
“Reinvigorating the nation’s middle-aged and elderly labor force is an important and pressing issue,” the ministry said.
Under the Employment Service Act (就業服務法), the government is required to provide assistance to middle-aged or older people seeking employment. While the act focuses on helping people who have lost their jobs to find work, a more comprehensive law is needed to ensure that older people receive long-term assistance in other areas, such as career building, the ministry said.
Under the draft act, titled “Employment Service Act for Middle-aged and Elderly Workers,” employers who discriminate against individuals aged 45 or older in hiring, firing or other terms and conditions of employment, such as promotions or raises, because of their age would be fined.
In addition, the employer would have their name published and be required to make improvements by a given date.
The act would also require the employer to bear the burden of proof when a complaint of age discrimination is filed.
Furthermore, if an employee is fired or subjected to any form of punishment after filing such a complaint, the employer would be fined NT$20,000 to NT$300,000.
As older people are more likely to be forced to leave work due to health conditions, the act would require the government to subsidize company programs and measures to improve work facilities and provide equipment, training and protection against occupational hazards for middle-aged or older employees.
Under the act, the government would also provide subsidies or other forms of assistance to unemployed middle-aged or older people for career training or to start their own business.
The draft act, which consists of 45 articles, can be viewed at https://join.gov.tw/policies, as well as https://laws.mol.gov.tw.
The public is encouraged to submit suggestions or opinions to the ministry by Sept. 11.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy