Donations flowed after people learned how Nantou Senior High School’s tug-of-war squad lacked funding to represent the nation at the international tug-of-war championships to be held in the Netherlands, school dean Huang Kuo-hsuan (黃國軒) said on Monday.
The school’s education foundation received NT$1.2 million (US$35,871) in donations, while a crowd-funding effort has generated NT$3.6 million in an online campaign, Huang said.
The school has halted fundraising as it has reached its goal of NT$4 million, Huang said, adding that any additional money would go toward training the athletes.
The squad is to represent Taiwan in the men’s 560kg and 640kg categories, the junior 560kg category and the open under-23 men’s 600kg category.
The squad started a fundraising hike of Yushan (玉山) on Tuesday last week, completing the hike to the mountain’s peak in 12 hours, the school said.
The event also served as high-altitude training, the school added.
The hike drew media coverage and the squad has since received funding from netizens and other members of the public, including popular music groups and singers such as May Day (五月天) and Kenji Wu (吳克群), the school said.
The efforts have also drawn the attention of legislative candidates from the two main political parties.
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Tsai Huang-liang (蔡煌瑯) on Monday said that the team faced financial difficulties three years ago when attending the world tug-of-war championships in South Africa.
At that time, Tsai contacted the Liason Office of the Republic of South Africa and Taiwanese expatriates in the nation to provide assistance for the team during their trip, Tsai said.
Tsai called on members of the public to help this year’s squad in any way possible and promised to help by looking for long-term corporate sponsors.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Hsu Shu-hua (許淑華) said she has contacted the Ministry of Education’s Sports Administration and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to seek assistance on behalf of the squad.
Hsu quoted the Sports Administration as saying that it would consider the possibility of providing funding as a special project.
A review committee is to be held tomorrow and the exact amount would be cleared within about two weeks, she quoted the administration as saying.
The school’s Parents’ Association chairman Pu Chih-ming (蒲志銘) said that considering the swiftness of funding arriving from the private sector, “one wonders why the government is always one step behind.”
Pu called on the government to consider earmarking money specifically to fund tug-of-war events, a sport in which Taiwan is considered adept.
The funds would help alleviate athletes’ worries when trying to raise money to cover travel expenses, Pu added.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as