Dozens of residents from Taipei’s Tianmu area (天母) and Trees Party activists yesterday protested against a NT$130 million (US$3.91 million) park renovation project by the Taipei City Government, which they said would relocate about 100 old trees and vast amounts of vegetation in Tienhe Park (天和) and Donghe Park (東和) in Tianmu.
The Taipei Parks and Street Lights Office yesterday conducted an on-site inspection at Tienhe Park to negotiate with residents and assess the condition of trees and facilities to be removed or renovated.
Residents said that they have launched a signature collection campaign to stop the renovation project, adding that Tienhe Park houses a well that is more than 300 years old and is one of the eight spectacles of Shilin District (士林), while the park is also a habitat for Taiwan blue magpies, a protected species generally considered Taiwan’s national bird.
Renovation would replace vegetation in the park with art installations and recreation facilities, affecting local ecology and hydrology, they said.
“We do not want art installations. We want trees and vegetation. Big budget is big disaster,” a local resident surnamed Lu (盧) said.
Residents do not oppose park maintenance or tree care, but they are against meaningless and extravagant renovation, such as removing trees for art installations, or replacing grass with concete, Lu said, adding that Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) does not need to continue an ill-devised policy established by former Taipei mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌).
Trees Party Chairman Pan Han-chiang (潘翰疆) said: “The renovation is part of the World Design Capital project, but its design is a recipe for disaster.”
Pan said the office planned to relocate 104 trees out of the 375 in Tienhe Park deemed unhealthy or dangerous, but the office should have arborists examine the trees to preserve them, instead of spending millions of New Taiwan dollars on demolishing them.
Office Deputy Chief Engineer Mo Hua-jung (莫華榕) said the office had already canceled plans to relocate the 104 trees after a meeting with residents last month, adding that only 15 trees considered dangerous might be removed pending further negotiation with residents.
Most of the budget would go to building more “green” spaces to raise the park’s greenery coverage from 75 percent to 85 percent, as well as leveling uneven ground, repaving the ground with water-permeable materials and preserving the well in the park, Mo said, adding that most residents agreed with the office’s plan.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as